Tuesday, August 1, 2017

The Playboy Prince and the Nanny - Release Day Blitz and Review

Blurb:  Prince Diego Navarro is the “spare” to his brother's "heir". While Raoul performs his crown prince duties with the appropriate sense of nobility and poise, Diego’s garnered a bit of a reputation as a playboy - despite the good he does behind the scenes with his favorite charities.

But when tragedy strikes and his sister-in-law is killed in a car accident, Diego knows it's time for the playboy to step up. If not for his brother, then for his niece and nephew, who now find themselves without a mother.

Which is where Rose Walters comes in.

Rose isn't intimidated by money or glitz. The veteran nanny has worked for the rich and minimally famous, but a manor house is no comparison to a castle… or the handsome princes who live there. However, the worst thing she could possibly do is fall for the gorgeous playboy with a surprising heart of gold. He’s a prince; she’s the help. He lives in the tabloids; she loves her privacy. But when her two darling charges start to play matchmaker, Diego and Rose don’t stand a chance.

The Playboy Prince and the Nanny is the first book in Donna Alward's royal duology.

My Thoughts:  It'd been a long time since I read a royal romance and I really love Donna Alward's romances so I couldn't resist this one.  And I'm glad I didn't because this was an adorably sweet read without drifting over to too sappy territory.

Diego is an interesting character.  He's definitely earned his reputation as the "playboy prince" and is constantly in paparazzi photos in exotic locations seemingly having a good time.  And he is for the most part but he also feels a little useless and more than a little lonely.  He's not anti-party but it's more a role he fell into that he has accepted as what he does.  His relationship with his family isn't tense but it isn't quite what he wants it to be either.  Rose is a smart woman who is very good at her job.  She understands children and genuinely seems to enjoy being around them.  I really liked her need to have clearly defined boundaries between herself and Diego.  I liked them together she adds a little seriousness to his more playful personality and he helps her lighten up and relax a little.

One thing I always worry about with royal romances or romances where one person is in some kind of power position over the other is that it might seem not entirely consenting.  I appreciated that Alward really did give Rose agency to make her own decisions so there was no feeling of a pressured situation.

This is a sweet romance about nice people in an absolutely gorgeous setting.  It's not high on angst or conflict though there is some tragedy and soul searching.  This is the perfect for a beach read or when you are looking for a little break.  This didn't pull me in quite as much as previous books by Alward (The House on Blackberry Hill is still my favorite) but this is fun, entertaining and sweet.  My Rating:  Good

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun, I was tempted to take this one up for review but looked at my pile and passed on it .... for now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yay! This one is on my list to check out. I do enjoy a royal romance now and again :

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this cover, and some romance that's sweet and not too heavy. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a good read. I don't read a lot of romances with royalty so this sounds like a fun change of pace.

    ReplyDelete