Thursday, August 3, 2017

Mid-Year Book Freak Out Tag

I saw this tag on Tina's blog Novel Meals and then Brittany over at This is the Story of My Reading Life tagged me and I knew I just had to do it.  It seemed appropriate since I'm in full mid-year book freak out since I saw a comment that there were only 5 reading months left in the year.  5!!!  How is that possible?  I haven't gotten nearly enough read!

I'm using books I've read in 2017 and not paying any attention to their publish dates and I'm also not counting rereads.

Best Book You've Read So Far - I've read a lot of good books this year but the best was probably The Kitchen Counter Cooking School by Kathleen Flinn.  It was inspiring and entertaining and really great way to start off the year!

Best Sequel You've Read So Far - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Flies Again by Frank Cottrell Boyce.  I listened to the audio of this one and adored it.  I loved the first book and while I could definitely tell this was a different author it was just as much fun.  It didn't hurt that the edition I listened to was read by David Tennant.  He really should narrate more books.

New Release You Haven't Read Yet But Want To - Elementary She Read by Vicki Delaney.  I was really excited about this cozy mystery when it came out back in March but it hasn't made it on my stack of books to read just yet.  I'm really looking forward to it though!


Most Anticipated Release for the Second Half of 2017- Sleep Like a Baby by Charlaine Harris.  I was thrilled when Charlaine Harris released a new book in the Aurora Teagarden series last year and even more pleased when it was really good!  I'm super excited about this next one.

Biggest Disappointment - Serafina and the Black Cloak by Robert Beatty.  I really wanted to love this one but I just didn't.  I wanted more Biltmore behind the scenes and it just didn't wow me.  However, over time I've discovered that the story really stayed with me and I enjoy what I remember so I'm thinking that this story just didn't work in audio for me though I love Cassandra Campbell who was the narrator.  I think I'm going to try reading the 2nd book and I have a feeling I will enjoy it much more.

Biggest Surprise:  Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George.  I expected to enjoy this one and I absolutely LOVED it.  Loved the story, the characters, the castle, just everything.  I'm really excited to read the next book

Most Beautiful Book Cover So Far This Year - Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen.  There's a distinct possibility that the reason this was on my TBR in the first place was because of this cover!

Best Audiobook Narration - The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware narrated by Imogen Church.  Imogen Church's voice is amazing.  I would listen to a book just because she was the narrator!

Shortest Book-  Mystery on Church Hill by Steven K. Smith is the shortest at 160 pages.  I started this Middle Grade series which centers around kids solving historical mysteries this year.  It's kind of like National Treasure for kids and so much fun!

Biggest Book - At 492 pages The Lake House by Kate Morton narrowly wins this.  I have a few reads coming up that will most likely be longer but for now this one holds the record!


13 comments:

  1. I've read two on your list and going to check out the others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This year is freaking me out. I have ONLY read 23 books so far. I know. How shocking. I just don't get back into reading after the loss of the twins. I've read Jodi Piccoult's Leaving time yesterday. Gosh, I loved it. I do feel more inspired to read after that one.

    Anyway - you have some good books here...! I still haven't read The women in cabin 10 and the Sarafina book never really caught my attention. Even though it was quite popular. So I'm glad I didn't read it!

    I am trying a few more audiobooks lately, still a different format for me - but I am getting used to it now and I actually have a review that's due on an audio book, so I'm getting there.

    Hope you are well otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked The Woman in Cabin 10 a lot even though I didn't do audio on that one. Tuesdays at the Castle- yay! That's a popular book in our household too. :)

    Elementary She read looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes The Lake House might be my longest this year too. Although I have one or two coming up that might challenge it. Funny but covers do make a difference and can suck a reader in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kitchen Counter sounds super interesting! Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have Elementary, She Read on my TBR, too. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Imogen Church rocks at narration, I just picked up Lying Game and cannot wait to listen and share in October :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay Sleep Like a Baby! I hope you enjoy it. I had a good time with them :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to know I'm not the only one thinking this year is going by sooooooo fast. Sarah Addison Allen's books have such wonderful covers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a lot of these on my tbr list but haven't had the chance to read any of them yet. I have a print copy of The Woman in Cabin 10 but I think I would rather listen to the audio so I just keep putting it off.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, I know, David Tennent should narrate more books. He also narrated the How to Train Your Dragon books!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so happy you like doing that tag, I enjoyed it. The Lake House was very good but I like Kate Morton very much. I like the others you mentioned, The Woman in Cabin 10 is still on my list. David Tennant narrated audio books, I didn't know!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to read the two Chitty Chitty books. If it wasn't for you I don't thibk I would have foubd out there was another book! The,At the Xastle books are now firmly on my tbr thanks,to you, too.

    I did read the Serafina book and I felt it was too scary in some parts for MG and to mature for MG in others,cso it got bad marks from me. I ran across a review (and I wished I had saved it) that said it was one of the books that was trying to please adults (The Thickety series, and The Girl Who Drank the Moon) and,YA readers because MG was becoming more popular with everyone. She agreed with me that that the story would have worked just as well, and maybe better,with the two main characters being older. What I found strange was the actors who portrayed the children in the live action book trailer looked mid teens, YA age.

    Thanks for sharing your list. I have been having so much fun reading everyones,answers. :)

    ReplyDelete