Thursday, August 10, 2017

All Signs Point to Murder - Cozy Mystery Review

All Signs Point to Murder (Zodiac Mystery #2) by Connie di Marco

Rating: Very Good
Source: NetGalley

Description: Julia Bonatti is alarmed by the astrological signs looming over Geneva Leary’s wedding day, but nobody asked Julia’s opinion and being a bridesmaid means supporting the bride no matter what. Even with the foreboding Moon-Mars-Pluto lineup in the heavens, no one’s prepared for the catastrophes that strike: a no-show sister, a passed-out wedding planner, and a lethal shooting in the dead of night.
With anger and grief threatening to tear the Leary family part, Julia is determined to understand how such a terrible tragedy could occur. As she digs deeper into the family’s secrets, her astrological insights will lead her to the truth about a criminal enterprise that stretches far beyond the California coast.

Genre: Mystery - Cozy

Why I Picked This Book: I enjoyed the first book in this series and I really like the Soup Mystery books she writes under the Connie Archer name.

My Impression: I really enjoyed the first book in this series about astrologer Julia Bonatti but I was not prepared for just how much I was going to enjoy the second book!  di Marco is back strong with this new book about some crazy dysfunctional family dynamics and the astrologer who ends up smack in the middle of the drama.

The mystery was solid and while I had some guesses at how it would end up there were still a few points that were definitely a surprise which is always a lot of fun for this regular mystery reader.  As well I felt like Julia's character was fleshed out a lot more without taking the focus off the mystery.  I really enjoyed getting to know her and spend a few hours in her world.  She has some interesting friends!   Watching her do the astrology readings was really entertaining and made me wish she was real so I could send my birth information to her!  I really enjoy watching an amateur sleuth do a little bit of work in their day job and di Marco did a fantastic job of using Julia's occupation to further the mystery and let the readers get to know the characters a little better.

If you haven't read the first book in this series I don't think you'd have any trouble jumping in right here.  I've been in a little bit of a reading rut this summer and this book was really the bit of fun I needed to get me back on track.  If you're looking for a fast paced cozy mystery with a likable amateur sleuth and a well done mystery don't pass this one up!

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?  Absolutely!  I'm really looking for the next book and this series and reading more from this author in general.

Would I Recommend this Book?  If you're a cozy mystery fan you really need to read this!  Connie di Marco/Archer is one of the best!

8 comments:

  1. The astrology angle sounds fun and the fact that she has a day job she has to go to adds a nice little touch. Looks like fun, love the title too. Hopefully there'll be more Zodiac mysteries? That could e a fun series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cover is really a good one. You seem to enjoy these cozy mysteries so much that i really need to get a stack of them and dig in. Great review! Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds like a lot of fun! The title of this book makes me think of Murder She Wrote. I bet there was an episode called "All Signs Point to Murder." Glad you liked this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one! I hadn't noticed that the second book was out. I will have to look for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The series sounds fun. I am making a note of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to meet up with a book that adds pizzaz to your reading palate, sounds like a great cozy read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This really sounds like a fun series. I will have to keep an eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds fun all the way around. I love how many cozies have kitties on the cover :D

    ReplyDelete