Monday, August 28, 2017

Murder Go Round and Grave Errors - Cozy Mystery Reviews


Lee Barrett has agreed to attend a storage auction with Aunt Ibby--even though she suspects the forgotten rooms will yield more junk than treasure. Her skepticism vanishes once the two win a bid on an overlooked locker and uncover a trove of beautiful curiosities, including a stunning wooden carousel horse with gentle eyes and fading paint. But just before Lee leaves the fairground relic at a local repair shop, the sight of a silver samovar awakens her psychic abilities and conjures visions of murder.
Lee prays the intrusive ESP episode was just a glimpse into the past--until her policeman boyfriend reports a dead man outside the repair shop. Apparently, the unknown victim had been hot on Lee's trail since the auction. And with the horse found dismantled, it looks like he was up to no good. What's the story behind the antique equine, and could a strange bubblegum-chewing woman with fiery hair have something to do with the crime? Guided by her gift and O'Ryan, her wise tabby cat, Lee's set on catching the murderer . . . before she's sent on the darkest ride of her life.

My Thoughts:  I forgot just how much I enjoyed the previous book in the series until I started this one.  The characters are just so likable which isn't always the case in a cozy.  I love Lee, her boyfriend Pete, and her Aunt Ibby.  I also really appreciate how Lee's "gift" is handled.  While it does help steer the plot occasionally the bulk of the investigation is done through non-supernatural means. The mystery itself hooked me from the beginning.  Who can resist a storage locker with all kinds of hidden treasures and buried secrets?  From start to finish this was a well paced and well plotted mystery and just incredibly fun as well!  Rating: Very Good
 

For residents of Salem, Massachusetts, the day after Halloween brings empty candy wrappers, sagging pumpkins, and a community-wide identity crisis. That is, until Lee Barrett s TV production class suggests extending the spooky season with the traditional Mexican celebration Dia de Los Muertos. But when the students discover not all of Salem s dead are resting in peace, the post-October blues don t seem so bad after all . . .
As if a series of haunting graveyard visits isn t disturbing enough, Lee and her policeman boyfriend connect the crime to an unsolved missing person case. Driven by a series of chilling psychic visions, Lee calls on her cleverest allies including her shrewd cat, O Ryan to go underground and dig up the evidence needed to put a lid on a cold case forever . . . before the latest headstone in town has her name on it!

My Thoughts:  So it's no secret that I really enjoy this series and this new mystery is no exception.  One thing I thought was missing a bit in previous books was setting.  The series takes place in Salem, MA but in previous books it felt like it was only an occasional mention.  However, in this book Salem and its history is front and center as Lee and her students explore some of the old graveyards.  I also really enjoyed Lee's boyfriend Pete's attitude towards her visions.  While he believes her he's not completely comfortable with them but at the same time is sympathetic to the grimness of them.  It felt very realistic and Pete doesn't come off like a jerk which I appreciated.  As expected the mystery is solid and thoroughly entertaining.  My only complaint after reading these two so close together is that I have to wait awhile till the next mystery!  Rating: Very Good

This is a very entertaining cozy mystery series with characters I feel like I could be friends with.  There is a supernatural element but it never feels like an artificial device to move the plot along.  While these are the 4th and 5th books in the series I don't think readers would have much trouble jumping in here.  

6 comments:

  1. This has a bit of a Charmed vibe to it if I'm not mistaking? I used to love Charmed when I was well, a bit younger...!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a series of mysteries called Psychic Eye. Have you ever read them? You might like them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to get Grave Errors as I just got the audio download in my inbox today!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like some good reads for October and the upcoming Halloween season! Especially the second one. Love the spooky cover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds great. I have just started picking up some cozy mysteries again and I love the supernatural element that is a part of this series. Glad you are enjoying the series!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This series sounds so good! I'm drawn to anything having to do with the paranormal. :-) I definitely need to give it a try. I am glad you like it, Katherine.

    ReplyDelete