Friday, August 4, 2017

Friday Linkups - The Secrets of Sir Richard Kenworthy















It's Friday linkup time!  I'm linking up with the Book Blogger Hop hosted by Coffee Addicted Writer, Book Beginnings of Fridays hosted by Rose City Reader, and the Friday 56 hosted by Freda's Voice

This Weeks' Book Blogger Hop Question:
Do you ever go "way back" to when you first started blogging and look at your old review posts?  Do you see any differences from then to now?

My Answer:
I don't often go back (though I need to spend some time in the archives getting old reviews indexed!) but I think I can definitely tell a difference.  My reviews early on where much shorter and tended to be really choppy.  It's not quite night and day but I can definitely tell a difference.

This week's book is The Secrets of Sir Richard Kenworthy by Julia Quinn.  I may have featured this one before but since I don't remember if I did or not I figure it doesn't count!  This is one of several books that I meant to read at one time or another but then got overcome with other books that had to be read.  I'm really trying to clear out some of those books I've had on my shelves forever with mixed results.  I figure getting a few off the shelf is better than none!

The Beginning: 
To quote that book his sister had read two dozen times, it was a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.

My Thoughts:
I love this reference to Pride and Prejudice!  It always makes me happy when books reference other books.


The 56:
"Then we will discuss books.  Perhaps" - his head dipped closer to hers - "something your sister has not read?"

My Thoughts:
I couldn't resist another book reference!

So what do you think?  Keep reading?


27 comments:

  1. Ooh the 56 sounds good- perhaps they're wooing? :) Looks like a fun book. And I do go back to look at my earlier reviews sometimes, and mostly what I think is- can I rewrite these lol?

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man I do not go back to old posts. I know I have changed (for good or for bad who knows) but I hate going back. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I loosened up a bit. Mine went from super short too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also like book references, signs that the characters are readers, which endears them to me immediately...LOL.

    Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first reviews were very short as well, I wish I could go back and hit the edit/delete button, but it is interesting to see how my posts have changed over the years. I love your beginning & 56. I agree, anything with a P&P reference is a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now, this sounds intriguing. And you hooked me with the Pride and Prejudice reference. My favorite classic read!

    My Friday 56 from The Forever Man

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds fun! I do go back and look at my old posts. Not only that, I often re-post them. I'd love for you and your readers to check out mine. I have something yummy as always! http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsMTF

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so cool that you've seen a chance in your writing! So have I which I'm loving. I can't wait to see what our blogs look like in the future with all the evolving! Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Julia Quinn seems to be an author I buy but don't read. A quick look at TBR mountain shows that I have 4 there waiting to be read. I have Dead Man's Bridge by Robert J. Mrazek this week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a treat for book fiends! :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love a man who suggests the discussion of books....! Does sound like a fun read.

    Thanks for stopping by earlier Katherine and have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't it fun to go back and see what happened when you first started blogging. I laugh at times because some of my reviews were bad. :)

    ENJOY your weekend.

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the 56 on this one, very charming :) Thanks for sharing!

    Jo-Ann

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved the Pride and Prejudice reference, too! Although, I didn't love this book. It's not bad, but there are many JQ books that are better. But I do think you should keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great answer! Some of my earlier reviews were choppy too and luckily, my current reviews are a bit more organized than my older reviews.

    Here’s my Book Blogger Hop!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. You totally had me at the Pride and Prejudice reference, even the 56 is good - I love when there are references from books I love, a great way to get my attention! Similarly, I don't think my old reviews are extremely different, but there are still changes I notice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Some I definitely go back and review, and almost always something gets changed. (lol) Happy Friday and Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've always meant to pick up Julia Quinn, but haven't gotten around to this author. Love the P&P reference too! Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I need to finish up indexing, too. It's nice to see some change in blogging/reviewing over time :) Always good to improve along the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is fun finding a reference like that! :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your quotes make me interested to know more. I also love some good intertextuality.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Julia Quinn's great! Not read this though. I love this reference to Pride and Prejudice, too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh yes, keep reading. I want to read it too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't go back to my old reviews that often. I have to index those reviews and fix some links, so I will be going back over the next few months. I'm a bit nervous to see those older reviews!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't go back to look at old reviews (maybe I should, ha ha), but I do know I used to use a lot of aesthetic gifs and then changed to aesthetic still inages. I don't use any gifs in reviews now at all, and hardly any images other than the book cover, and maybe a couple of illustrations if the book has them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I don't spend too much time looking at old reviews but it can be eye opening when I do need to read one. I hate finding an error that has been there for years. Enjoy the book!

    ReplyDelete