Saturday, March 11, 2023

My Life in Reading - March 12


It's Sunday Post time!  This is hosted by the awesome Caffeinated Book Reviewer and gives us all a chance to recap our week.

What I Got:

My Book Outlet order arrived!  Between this book and my haul of review books last week I need to take about a month off of getting new books.



The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King - I've been meaning to do a reread of this series for years so I picked up the first book.

A Trail of Lies by Kylie Logan - I enjoyed the first book of the series so I had to pick up the second book.

All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot - I read this book in high school and remember enjoying it but have really been wanting to reread it since the series started.

Knot On Her Life by Mary Marks - This is a series I want to read.  I love books involving quilting even though I'm not a quilter and I've heard good things about this series.

A Deadly Chapter by Essie Lang - I read the second book in this series and enjoyed it and bought the first book so I figured I'd get the third book too!

Five on a Treasure Island by Enid Blyton - I've been wanting to read Enid Blyton for ages and when I saw this book for just a couple of dollars I figured it was a sign.

Death at Greenways by Lori Rader Day - I know nothing about this book or this author but Greenways is Agatha Christie's home so I had to give it a try.

Murder on Mustique by Anne Glenconner - I feel like I've heard good things about this author and this looked interesting.

Gone for Good by Joanna Schaffhausen - I've heard good things about this author and this one looked interesting.

Dust to Dust by Audrey Keown - Another book I've heard nothing about but it looked interesting so I figured I'd give it a try.

Currently:


Reading:  The Raven Thief by Gigi Pandian and First Frost by Sarah Addison Allen

Listening: Scheduled to Death by Mary Feliz

This has been another good and quiet week.  We got school done which included a Zoom class for forensic science and a service club meeting.  It was great for him to hang out with friends in person and work on a community project.  Other than that he's been having a fabulous time building Lego sets and has fallen down a rabbit hole on Star Wars and is watching all the Clone Wars episodes.

J and I went and saw Casablanca at the theater which was amazing.  I've seen the movie dozens of times but seeing it on the big screen was such a fantastic experience.  It reminded me of why it was one of my favorite movies of all time.  This weekend has been a scent work trial at the dog club and it has reminded me that I am not used to manual labor and am massively out of shape!  I have loved seeing all the different dog breeds and it's been a lot of fun.  I might sleep all next week though!

Have a great week and happy reading!

17 comments:

  1. The Enid Blyton sounds awesome. I love those older mysteries- they're like nostalgia reads even if I haven't read the particular book lol. I keep an eye out for 'em now at antique stores and whatever...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking book selection! Have a terrific week.
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had All Creatures Great and Small on my TBR for a while now. I want to get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too read All things Great and Small in high school, and I remember reading All Things Bright and Beautiful at some point, also. ☺

    I'm happy to hear Will got some friends time in! ☺

    You can't sleep all week... you have a ton of new books to read! ☺

    Have a wonderful new week! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great haul! Glad things went well for the week! Hope your enjoying The Raven Thief I have that one too! It's the most uncozy cozy mystery cover ever!

    Have a great week and happy reading!
    Stormi
    Week in Review

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always loved James Herriot! Such good books. And Enid Blyton has been on my list to read too. I will be looking forward to your thoughts!

    Oo I love Casablanca too! I would love to see it at the theater on a big screen. What a cool experience.

    And I love that Will got to hang out with some friends in person! Forensic Science class sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy your new books! I hope this week is another good one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Casablanca on the big screen would be amazing! I love that movie. Nice haul of books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had The Beekeeper's Apprentice on my TBR for AGES. I have on omnibus of The Famous Five in the library and been meaning to reread it. Sounds like fun!

    Have a good week Katherine and yes, don't we all wish we could have a month of only reading....!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the cover of The Raven Thief. Hope you enjoy your reading and have a great week!
    Lisa Loves Literature

    ReplyDelete
  11. All Creatures Great and Small is one of my favorite reads ever. I read it first when I was young and then I reread it a few years ago. Such great little stories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you got to see Casablanca in theaters! I still haven't seen that movie yet, but I'm definitely going to soon!

    Here’s my Sunday Post

    And my Sunday Watch for movie and TV fans!

    Rabbit Ears Book Blog: WORLD’S WEIRDEST BOOK BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A quiet normal week is a good week. That's exciting about the scent work trial. I saw Gone with the Wind in the theater a couple times and it's gorgeous on screen. The time change and chilly weather here are making us sleepy for a couple days, but then we will be in the 70s again.

    Anne - Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great book haul. Will be interested to see what you think of Enid Blyton. Possibly an author for her time but not so much now. When I read it growing up there wasn't much else and I gobbled her up. I read one of her books to her class, hated the whole book but the children wanted me to read another of hers but I wouldn't! I loved the TV series ( the most recent) of All Creatures Great and Small, been three seasons now and I am hoping for another. Hope you like Mary Marks book. I read a kind of memoir by Anne Glenconner which horrified me a bit at the behaviour of the royal and "upper class". I see she has another book out too. Probably won't read that but did buy a book about a farmer's daughter becoming a Duchess so hope i enjoy it. (NF).

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't ordered from Book Outlet in a while but it is always so much fun to get a box of books. I am so glad that Will got to hang out with his friends. I think that one of my dogs would have been great at agility and regret not doing it when they were younger. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read The Beekeeper's Apprentice a long time ago, but didn't read any more of the series - it's always a bonus when you can revisit a book with enjoyment. Congratulations on getting hold of an Enid Blyton story - I recall reading them feverishly as a girl - I hope you enjoy it! And I sympathise with the aches and pains of getting fitter - that mountain is ahead of me as I'm massively out of shape, having spent a huge amount of time in bed. I'm not yet ready to start really getting active again - but I know when I do, it'll hurt! Have a great week, Katherine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved the James Herroit books. So good. I hope you enjoy your reading and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete