Thursday, March 16, 2023

Books from the Backlog - Omens


Today I'm linking up with Carole from Carole's Random Life of Books for Books from the Backlog.  I really enjoy the chance to feature a book that's been hiding in the piles of books for far too long!

Goodreads:  Omens (Cainsville #1) by Kelley Armstrong

Blurb:  Twenty-four-year-old Olivia Taylor Jones has the perfect life. The only daughter of a wealthy, prominent Chicago family, she has an Ivy League education, pursues volunteerism and philanthropy, and is engaged to a handsome young tech firm CEO with political ambitions.
But Olivia’s world is shattered when she learns that she’s adopted. Her real parents? Todd and Pamela Larsen, notorious serial killers serving a life sentence. When the news brings a maelstrom of unwanted publicity to her adopted family and fiancé, Olivia decides to find out the truth about the Larsens.

Olivia ends up in the small town of Cainsville, Illinois, an old and cloistered community that takes a particular interest in both Olivia and her efforts to uncover her birth parents’ past.

Aided by her mother’s former lawyer, Gabriel Walsh, Olivia focuses on the Larsens’ last crime, the one her birth mother swears will prove their innocence. But as she and Gabriel start investigating the case, Olivia finds herself drawing on abilities that have remained hidden since her childhood, gifts that make her both a valuable addition to Cainsville and deeply vulnerable to unknown enemies. Because there are darker secrets behind her new home and powers lurking in the shadows that have their own plans for her.

Why It Needs to Come Off the Shelf:  This is an author I've been wanting to read for years and this falls into magical realism which fits my theme for the month of March.

7 comments:

  1. I have bought some of these on audio and hope to read it. I love this author. She has some historical romance mysteries you would probably love also. 2 series actually.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read something by Kelley Armstrong too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to read this author but I haven't yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this one sitting on my shelf too! I hope that we both enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a revelation that would be! I hadn't heard of this series. that's what I love about book blogs, I am always introduced to new authors

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds really good. If Hoopla, or Libby has it, I'm going to give it a whirl. 📘

    ReplyDelete