Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Solutions and Other Problems - Nonfiction Graphic Novel Review

Goodreads:  Solutions and Other Problems by Allie Brosh

Rating: Really Liked It
Source: Library

Description:  Allie Brosh returns with a new collection of comedic, autobiographical, and illustrated essays.

Solutions and Other Problems includes humorous stories from Allie Brosh’s childhood; the adventures of her very bad animals; merciless dissection of her own character flaws; incisive essays on grief, loneliness, and powerlessness; as well as reflections on the absurdity of modern life.

This full-color, beautifully illustrated edition features all-new material with more than 1,600 pieces of art.

Genre:  Nonfiction - Graphic Novel

Why I Picked This Book:  I really enjoyed Brosh's blog when it was active and her previous book.  I was so excited when I saw this book had an official publish date and couldn't wait to read it.

My Impression:  Allie Brosh never fails to make me laugh until I cry and this book was no exception.  There were some stories that made me laugh, some that made me cringe, some that broke my heart, and all entertained.  I love her drawings that illustrate the book.  They look simple but portray so much emotion and add so much to the feel of her stories.  As well I'm just absolutely fascinated by how her mind works.  There were a few things (especially about pets) that had me looking a little side eyed at my cat and a few things that were completely incomprehensible to me but still had me laughing.

The one thing that I feel is missing from this book as opposed to Jenny Lawson's books is the lack of personal connection.  I love how Brosh's mind works but I want to know more about her.  I do understand and respect her desire for privacy, however. 

This book is massive but is mostly illustrations and makes for a quick read.  I enjoyed reading a few chapters here and there throughout the day.  It made for a nice little treat.  Brosh's humor is probably not for everyone so if you are new to her work checking out her blog might be a good idea.  In addition to the humorous stories she does touch on some incredibly serious topics such as suicide, grief, and depression but not in a detailed deep dive kind of way.  

I'm so glad I was able to read and enjoy this book and I can only hope that Brosh doesn't disappear for as long between books this time!

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?  Absolutely!  I will read anything she writes.

Would I Recommend this Book?  I would - especially if you enjoy Jenny Lawson or have enjoyed Brosh's earlier stories.  

7 comments:

  1. I've never read anything by Allie Brosh, but this book is high on my TBR list. I haven't seen it in any SA bookshops yet though. Guess I'll have to order it. If you like it, I will most probably love it too!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this book on hold at my library. I wanted to read her first book Hyperbole and a Half when it was published but I got sidetracked, I plan on reading it soon though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read this book. Allie Brosh’s cartoons are way too relatable. I’m glad you enjoyed it!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this book yet, but my daughter loved it. I read her first book and that book has many sections devoted to dogs - hilarious.
    I just discovered Jenny Lawson's books and love them. These do complement each other well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the expressions she gets on the faces of the figures she draws. I really love her work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this sounds different but good. Any story that can make us laugh is sure worth it.I love how drawings can really help to tell the story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband loves Allie Brosh and has been trying to get me to read her first book for awhile now. I am glad you liked this one.

    ReplyDelete