Saturday, March 13, 2021

Greygallows - Keeper Shelf Review

Goodreads:  Greygallows by Barbara Michaels

Rating:  Really Liked It
Source: Purchased

Description:  Lucy Cartwright placed her life and future into the hands of the dashing Baron Clare, despite the rumors of his dark, unsavory past. Trusting his kind words and gentle manner, she agreed to be his wife and followed the enigmatic lord to Greygallows, his sprawling country estate. But mystery, deception, betrayal, and danger surround the magnificent manor—a ghostly secret charges the atmosphere and terror reigns in its shadowed hallways. Lucy entered Greygallows willingly . . . and now she may never leave.

Genre: Fiction - Gothic

Why I Picked This Book:  I am re-evaluating all the books on my Keeper Shelf and seeing if they still deserve their place there.

My Impression:  Of all the books on my Keeper Shelf this one's status was most in jeopardy.  It's not one that sticks in my head or one I reach for when I'm feeling a slightly creepy comfort reread and I can't even remember the last time I read it.  This one is a bit different from the bulk of Michaels' books.  This one is not set in present day but instead in England in the later half of the 19th century.  She plays with Gothic elements in all of her books but in this one she leans into the Gothic format hard.  Lucy is weak and helpless (at first), Baron Clare is dark, mysterious and all kinds of sinister, and the manor house is cursed.  Throw in a heaping scoop of social issues and you've got a creepy reading experience to meet your Gothic needs.

I liked Lucy quite a bit by the end.  She starts off so incredibly sheltered and naïve but in her defense she is so sheltered that she really no other choice.  Another character tells her early in the book that the only thing wrong with her is ignorance and that is easily cured which was a sentiment I appreciated and very much enjoyed Lucy taking that to heart.  

As usual, Michaels writing style makes for an atmospheric and fast paced read that I was immediately sucked into.  The start was a bit slow for her but once the story gained traction I didn't want to put it down.  While this book will probably never be on my regular reread list it has definitely re-earned its place on my Keeper Shelf!

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?  Absolutely!  Michaels is a favorite and I'm hoping to read more under her Elizabeth Peters name as well.

Would I Recommend this Book?  If you enjoy fast paced reads with a tiny touch of creepiness then Barbara Michaels is absolutely not to be missed.

9 comments:

  1. This does sound like a fun mystery, sort of like "Rebecca" to me. Glad to hear you enjoyed it enough for it to stay on your Keeper Shelf. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read everything Elizabeth Peters but nothing Barbara Michaels. A genre difference for me perhaps.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an author I've always wanted to read, but never had a chance. I think I should be checking out her books because this sounds like my kind of book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book's summary reminds me of Jane Eyre.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is great that you do reread and also good that it wins a place back on your shelf. Lucy sounds like a character who develops well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am definitely going to like this!! Will add it to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tend to like her books when I read them, but rarely pick them up. I'll have to give this one a look.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have way too many on my Keeper bookcases! I'd love to re-read everything and make a final decision, weed a few out, but I barely have time to read the TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You taught me something, I didn't know Elizabeth Peters wrote under that name :)

    ReplyDelete