Sunday, March 21, 2021

Life With Leukemia (And Some Reading) - March 21


 It's Sunday Post time!  This is hosted by the awesome Caffeinated Book Reviewer and gives us all a chance to recap our week.

This week was a much better week!  Will's energy level is still pretty low but not nearly as low as it was.  His blood sugar is testing really low which isn't unusual for kids in treatment for Leukemia so we are trying to get that under control just with diet so we don't have to add finger pricks and any other meds.   But on a positive not he was invited to be a special judge at a car show run by an organization called Eli's Block Party that raises money for childhood cancer research.  The founders lost their son to brain cancer in 2017 and continue to do car shows and all kinds of fundraisers and help organize stuff all over the country.  It's amazing cause.  Each show brings in a kid under active treatment from the community to give away a special prize with the only criteria being the car the  kid likes best.  We aren't really car people and hadn't even been to a car show so we weren't really sure what to expect but it was a lot of fun.  Turns out Will has a strong preference for newer Mustangs which was interesting.  

This was really the first thing we did with people around and it was outside and distanced but it made for a big day.  I think we all wanted to take a nap when we got home!

I've been feeling like I was sliding into a bit of a reading slump but I think what I figured out is just I needed to break up the type of book I was reading.  I had been reading more character focused books and realized I was getting to the point where most of the characters in most of the books were just annoying me but luckily I picked up a more plot driven book and I think it has cleared away the slump.

Currently:


Reading:  The Key by Patricia Wentworth and What the Devil Knows by C.S. Harris

Listening:  The Body in the Attic by Judi Lynn

Watching:  I've been watching The Con which is a true crime show about cons.  I'm finding it absolutely fascinating and it does make sense how people get caught up in crazy things.

Have a great week and happy reading!



20 comments:

  1. The car show looked like a lot of fun and would break up the day to day being home for sure. Yes a plot driven book is often what gets me out of a slump too. I usually go looking for something fast paced and suspenseful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great day. :) And it is always fun to learn something new about your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear good things are happening for Will.

    As for your reading, I also have to change up my genre when I am in a slump. Good luck with your new ones. Here are my WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading slumps are hard. And interesting point about blood sugar and your son's illness. I don't know much about it and am glad to learn more. I picked up a woman who was diagnosed with breast cancer and we talked about how many doctors she has and how in the beginning when she was diagnosed, she didn't even have insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear Will enjoyed the car show! I can imagine it was fun. I haven't been in a reading slump as much as not having time to read! But now that I am on my holiday break, I will try to get it sorted a bit. Still need to read Patricia Wentworth...

    Have a good week and I hope Will will be good this week.

    https://elzareads.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m glad Will is feeling better! I don’t know anything about cars, but that car looks like a nice one.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a cool cause and glad Will was able to be part of it. Nice looking Mustang by the way. :) I hope he has a good week this week as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's great Will got to do something new and different! I love CS Harris, always a win. I have been fussy about my reading and usually just when starting a new book and sometimes have to switch up genres.

    Anne - Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  9. That car show sounds fun and what a great cause! So cool that Will and you and your husband could get out for a while and do something fun! I have been kind of slumpy but I am trying to fight it! :)

    I have always wanted to try that C.S. Harris series so I hope you are liking it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you had a better week. The C.S. Harris series looks good. I hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The car show sounds like a lot of fun and it is great that Will got to be a judge! I also have a strong preference for Mustangs (I drive one but mine isn't fancy) so I think that your son made a great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the photo of Will, that’s a fun thing to do for him & it had to be great getting out. We had a newer mustang for a few years, it was fun. We rented a red convertible one for our 25th anniversary & liked it so much we bought a former rental.

    Let me know about any titles on your list you may be having trouble finding, I’ll check with my used book store. I’m there a lot. Too much probably :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you all got out and had a nice day. I think Will picked a great looking car! The Con sounds like a great TV show! I hope you all have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great day for all of you... especially Will! I'm glad to hear he had a better week and hoping for more of the same in the week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an awesome day for Will! I hope his blood sugars come up a bit.

    How do you like the Sebastian St. Cyr books? I have been meaning to read them, but I never seem to remember them when I'm looking for something new to read.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I bet the car show was fun and tiring. Nice to get outdoors and do something different, I'm sure.
    I hear you on the character driven books. I'm a plot/action reader. I want a good pace!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's the car I'd pick, too. A blue Mustang! What a fun event. I'm so glad your son was able to get out and enjoy a bit of life.

    And I'm really glad to hear that your son had more energy this week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really love looking at some of those huge US cars! I'd enjoy going to a few car shows or even biker rallies!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was so happy to see that Will got to do something fun and different. 🤗

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great organization to honor a lost child and to spread some sunshine in another child's day.

    ReplyDelete