Wednesday, February 21, 2018

The Tuscan Child - Fiction Review


Rating: Very Good
Source:  Publicist

Description:  
In 1944, British bomber pilot Hugo Langley parachuted from his stricken plane into the verdant fields of German-occupied Tuscany. Badly wounded, he found refuge in a ruined monastery and in the arms of Sofia Bartoli. But the love that kindled between them was shaken by an irreversible betrayal.

Nearly thirty years later, Hugo’s estranged daughter, Joanna, has returned home to the English countryside to arrange her father’s funeral. Among his personal effects is an unopened letter addressed to Sofia. In it is a startling revelation.

Still dealing with the emotional wounds of her own personal trauma, Joanna embarks on a healing journey to Tuscany to understand her father’s history—and maybe come to understand herself as well. Joanna soon discovers that some would prefer the past be left undisturbed, but she has come too far to let go of her father’s secrets now…

Genre: Fiction - Historical

Why I Picked This Book:
  I'm a big Rhys Bowen fan and I just loved the sound of this one.

My Impression:
  Well now I need to go to Italy.  Specifically a small village in Tuscany to stay with a woman who will teach me all the wonders of cooking Italian food.  I will walk in the countryside, eat delicious food, and drink lots of wine.  I'm going to take a miss on the dead body and troubled paternal relationship though.

This book is told in two timelines and I really enjoyed both.  I found Hugo's story so compelling and was so caught up in his relationship with Sofia and his struggles to survive.  Joanna's story took me a little longer to get into.  There was a lot of hinting about some traumatic event and she just seemed so bitter and unhappy I didn't like her at first.  However, once she got to Italy and began spending time with the woman who rents her a room, Paola, she began opening up and I was completely on her side.  I loved how Joanna really let herself embrace the warmth and friendship offered by Paola and the cooking lessons made my mouth water. All the while my heart broke for Hugo as right from the beginning I knew the beginning of the story and the end but not what happened in between.  I felt like the fear, the frustration, and the scarcity of necessary supplies was really in focus here and I couldn't help but love Sofia for her positivity and resourcefulness.  My only problem was that the ending felt a little rushed and I would have liked a little more resolution on one particular plot point.  

This was a compelling read and a poignant one.  I enjoyed this look at the Italian home front which was more front than home.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?  Absolutely!  I've really loved both of Bowen's historical fiction standalones and can't wait for the next one.

Would I Recommend this Book?
  If you enjoy historical fiction I think you'd enjoy this read.

10 comments:

  1. I've heard that this book will make you hungry! Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was my first read of Rhys Bowen and I liked it, yeah Tuscany was very inviting. I liked Joanna from the beginning and did like the dual time line too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sound of this one, though is very much reminds me of Rosanna Ley's The Villa in the premise - right down to the delicious Italian recipes... Great review, Katherine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this story sounds really amazing. I would have struggled a bit, too, with Joanna, but I'm glad you liked her more once she got to Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm usually not a big historical fiction fan, but this sounds really good. I've been wanting to try this author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never read Rhys Bowen but when I saw a description of this book I had to add it to my list for future reads. I am anxious to get it now, especially after your review.
    Sorry I haven't been around visiting much - it's been insane at work and I haven;t been on Instagram or updated either blog in a bit.
    Hoping for some downtime now. Did you know Santa Montefiore is coming out with a followup book for the Deverill family stories?! I'm excited.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a good read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen this book and considered reading it. I might have to try it now, Katherine. It does sound really good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book is on my TBR and after reading why you need to go to Tuscany, I want to read it even more. Haha. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just got done reading this book, and I also enjoyed the dual timeline. It was so enjoyable I didn’t want it to end. Now I want to try some of the recipes from the book!

    ReplyDelete