Monday, February 12, 2018

Clairvoyant and Present Danger - Cozy Mystery Review


Rating: I Really Liked It!
Source: Publisher

Description: 
Whoever said that dead men tell no tales has never met Cass Donnovan...

Cass has always relied on her abilities to guide her, but after communications with a ghost land her in the middle of a murder investigation, she has to wonder if her gifts are really more a curse.

Cass knows she is meant to help track down the killer--much to the chagrin of local law enforcement--when the apparition leads her to a dead body on the beach near her psychic shop, Mystical Musings. But the police are not the only ones who wish Cass would stick to reading palms. Someone is trying to scare her off, and it will take all her powers of premonition to catch the killer before Cass herself becomes the next victim...

Genre: Mystery - Cozy

Why I Picked This Book:
  I loved the 2nd book in this series so I was really excited to read this one.

My Impression:
  I really loved the book in this series that I read so I was a little hesitant to start this one.  I haven't had the best luck with expectations and my reading lately so what if this was another flop?   However, this one completely lived up to my expectations and within a few pages I found myself pulled into the world of Bay Island with Cass, Bee, Stephanie, Beast and everyone else who lives in Gregory's world.

While the bodies don't show up for awhile there is clearly something wrong in Bay Island right from the beginning.  Cass isn't sleeping and is plagued by nightmares and visions all of the same woman.  A reading gone weird doesn't help her sense of unease.  At the beginning she can't help but do some investigating as there is no proof that anything criminal has even happened and when the body shows up she wants no part of the official investigation but can't seem to avoid being drawn in.

What makes this series especially appealing for me is Cass's two friends and her dog, Beast.  Beast is just a ridiculously enormous dog who always is managing to get into something and make a huge mess.  He also manages to drive Cass's friend Bee completely crazy.  Their love/hate relationship makes for lots of laughs especially since Bee hates getting messy and that's Beast's specialty.   Bee and Cass's friendship is really lovely.  He gives Cass a hard time quite a bit but if she needs him for anything he is there in a flash.  Her other friend Stephanie is also supportive but she's a bit subdued in this book as she's going through her own personal problems.

The mystery is great though I wouldn't expect anything less.   It took awhile for just what was going on to become clear and even then I wasn't quite sure how it would all unravel though I couldn't wait to find out!  If you haven't read this series before it's easy to jump in here.  It reads like a standalone though I imagine you'll be ordering the previous two books as soon as you finish this one!  Cass's psychic angle is well done and unique and added in at just the right amount.

If you're looking for a great cozy mystery that's just a little different full of great characters and a town you want to go back and visit than this is a must read!

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?
  Absolutely!  Lena Gregory is an autobuy for me and this book just proved why!

Would I Recommend this Book?
  Definitely!  If you're a cozy mystery reader than don't miss this series!

4 comments:

  1. I kind of want to read this to meet Beast alone! Although you know I can never resist a ghost, either. I'm so glad this one didn't let you down. High expectations can be stressful, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sounds wonderful and love that "I really Liked it" status. Beast alone would make me want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing the release of Clairvoyant and Present Danger! And thank you for such a lovely review! I'm so very happy you enjoy my stories :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the play on words with the title and many thanks for an informative, entertaining review:)

    ReplyDelete