Wednesday, February 28, 2018

First Kiss of Spring - Contemporary Romance Review

Description:  When Josh Tarkington gets stuck on a gondola with the lovely Caitlin Timberlake, he thinks his consistently bad luck might have changed.

After their blossoming romance is interrupted, Caitlin realizes that her encounter with Josh was a sign that she needed to make a major life change. So she packs up her things and moves to Eternity Springs, opens a day care, and sets her cap for the town’s mechanic—Josh.

But Josh is hiding a well of secrets that would ruin him, and his relationship with everyone in Eternity Springs—especially Caitlin. When tragedy strikes, Josh and Caitlin find themselves, and their relationship, tested beyond imagining. Will they be able to find their way back to each other?

Genre: Romance - Contemporary

My Impression:
  I love Emily March.  She can pull me into the story and into Eternity Springs on page 1.   I fully believe there's a bit of magic in Eternity Springs and sometimes I'd love for Celeste to pop up at just the right time and give me some advice.  It was nice to check in on the couples from previous books - but if you're new to the series no worries.  It's not so heavy handed that it takes unnecessary page time or becomes confusing.  I liked Josh and Caitlin and their chemistry when they're together felt very authentic.  Caitlin's reasons for moving home felt very true and I'm not sure I've met a character with more reason to not want to be in a relationship or talk about his past than Josh.

I did have some hiccups with the book.  While I liked both Josh and Caitlin her conviction that Josh is the only one for her so early into their meeting was a bit mystifying. She was so rational and so prepared regarding her decision to move home to Eternity Springs so her focus on a relationship even after Josh is very clear about not wanting a relationship and tells her his very real reasons for feeling that way.

My other issue was Caitlin's father.  While he did redeem himself somewhat in the end for the bulk of the book I wanted to slap him.  I get that he doesn't want his daughter to be hurt but his intense and very vocal dislike of Josh despite all the evidence that's he's really a good guy seemed irrational and his need to have Caitlin settled down with a good man of his choice was insulting.  All the other characters just kind of shrugged it off as him just being overprotective but it was way too controlling for me.  He essentially handpicked a guy and kept hurling that particular guy at Caitlin at every possible opportunity.

Despite my issues I did enjoy this read.  March pulled me into the world of Eternity Springs and kept me reading.  I'm looking forward to my next visit already!  Rating: Good


Follow Emily March:



Facebook: Emily March
Pinterest: Emily March


9 comments:

  1. I read this one and loved it and this author is one of my favorites. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the last time I read a book from March was way back in 2012 or so, and I enjoyed her work. But as you already know, the hint of a controlling character, especially if he's in a good portion of the book will send me running to the hills.(lol) Loved your review. Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, I really thought it was out of character for Caitlin's father to be so daft, that said I love every visit to Eternity Springs too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've wanted to read this author for a long time. Sounds like a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read Emily March. Are her books more romance or women's fiction? I'm glad you enjoyed this, even though there were some issues. I think I would have been a bit frustrated with Caitlin and her certainty that Josh was it for her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Emily March as well. I've read some of the books in this series, sorry this one had some issues. Still seems like a good installment. Great review! ~Aleen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to see, Katherine, that this series is still going strong.
    Thank you for your recent visit. I was glad that STITCHES West wasn't as crazy Friday as it was last year. I guess more ppl wanted to come Saturday to the market or were in class. I didn't feel overwhelmed at all. If I were on my own, I would have gone in every yarn booth to dig around. I love Susan B. Anderson and it was fun meeting Felicia from Oregon; she has such a spunky and creative fashion sense.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still have not read Emily March. I hope to get to some of the books in this series very soon though. Too bad you had some issues with this book. Characters you want to slap are never a good thing. I am glad you did enjoy the book though. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. She always has such nice covers that tempt me. Glad you enjoyed it even with the couple of issues that popped up.

    ReplyDelete