Saturday, February 24, 2018

The Fast and the Furriest - Cozy Mystery Review


Rating: Very Good
Source: Publisher

Description: 
Sarah Grayson owns Second Chance, a shop that sells lovingly refurbished items, in the charming town of North Harbor, Maine. But she couldn't run the store without the help of her right-hand man, Mac--or her dashing rescue cat, Elvis.

Mac's life before North Harbor has always been a little bit mysterious, but it becomes a lot more intriguing when a woman from his past shows up in town, and then turns up dead. Suspicion falls on Mac, but Sarah--and Elvis--know he can't be the killer, and they hope they can prove his innocence quick as a whisker.

Genre: Mystery - Cozy

Why I Picked This Book:
  I've heard raves about this series and this one sounded fun.

My Impression:
  I feel like I've been on a winning streak when it comes to cozies lately and this book just keeps that going!  I love a second hand shop and I love private investigators so the fact that this book contained both was definitely a bonus.  I loved Sarah and her assortment of relatives and friends really fleshed out the book.  I'm always a fan of a team dynamic and this had it in spades with input and theories from a number of the different characters.

The mystery was interesting.  Everyone has their secrets and learning about Mac's kept me turning pages.  Just who was he before he ended up in North Harbor and what is he capable of?  Even though I haven't read the other books in the series and don't have a history with Mac I couldn't help but believe in him just as much as Sarah, Rose, Liz, and everyone else did.  And of course I can't not mention Sarah's cat, Elvis.  He never hesitates to make his opinion known and adds a bit of humor to the book.

While this is the 5th book in the series I had no issue figuring out the setup for the series.  I do feel like I'm missing some of the history between Sarah and Nick but he had only a small part in the book so it wasn't distracting. This was a fantastic cozy mystery with a wonderful community, and a likable main character.  I'm so excited that I finally tried this series and can't wait to read more!

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?
  Absolutely!  I'm looking forward to reading the first 4 while I wait for #6!

Would I Recommend this Book?
  If you enjoy cozies I think you'll love this series!

6 comments:

  1. This sounds so cute!! I definitely want to check it out. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fun. I like the Maine setting, and it's always fun when a character has a hidden past! And of course the cat having an opinion sounds like a riot too. I need to read some cozies with a cat perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I rarely get around to reading a cozy sometimes when I read your reviews like this one I wish I made more room for them. This one does sound so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to laugh at the fun title. I am a cozy addict and will be adding this series to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this series and have this one coming up soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Katherine! And everyone else!

    ReplyDelete