Thursday, February 22, 2018

The French Girl - Mystery Review


Rating: Very Good
Source: Publisher

Description:  
They were six university students from Oxford--friends and sometimes more than friends--spending an idyllic week together in a French farmhouse. It was supposed to be the perfect summer getaway--until they met Severine, the girl next door.

For Kate Channing, Severine was an unwelcome presence, her inscrutable beauty undermining the close-knit group's loyalties amid the already simmering tensions. And after a huge altercation on the last night of the holiday, Kate knew nothing would ever be the same. There are some things you can't forgive, and there are some people you can't forget, like Severine, who was never seen again.

Now, a decade later, the case is reopened when Severine's body is found in the well behind the farmhouse. Questioned along with her friends, Kate stands to lose everything she's worked so hard to achieve as suspicion mounts around her. Desperate to resolve her own shifting memories and fearful she will be forever bound to the woman whose presence still haunts her, Kate finds herself buried under layers of deception with no one to set her free.

Genre: Mystery

Why I Picked This Book:
  Secrets from the past and a body found a decade later?  No way I could resist!

My Impression:
  It's been awhile since I read a thriller and the last one I read I was kind of meh about so I was a bit nervous.  This one however was far from meh - in fact it kept me up late turning pages trying to figure out what had happened!

One of things I don't like about the unreliable narrator type thrillers is when they give you nothing about whatever it is that happened in the past.  Elliott, however, gave me just enough.  I had the general idea of the setup and I knew the outcome which gave me just enough to keep me guessing and theorizing on just what had happened all those years ago in France.  As well all the characters with the exception of 1 are back in London and old grudges and desires are rising to the surface.

The story is through Kate's POV and I actually liked her which is unusual in this kind of psychological thriller.  She's intelligent with a  bit of a chip on her should but not so much that it annoyed me.  She's struggling to get her business going and having to deal with all sorts of emotions that she had spent a decade shoving out of her thoughts.

This was a really compelling read.  The pacing was good and I never felt like it was dragging or murky.  The ending wasn't entirely a surprise though it did have me holding my breath a time or two while I read on to see how it all played out.  

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?
  Absolutely!  It had a bit of a Ruth Ware feel but with more likable characters.

Would I Recommend this Book?
  If you enjoy mysteries with a psychological thriller edge  I think you'd enjoy this one.

13 comments:

  1. This one sounds excellent - I tend to avoid these types of unreliable narrator-thrillers as, like you, I get a tad fed up with being led by the nose up all sorts of dead ends before discovering in a flurry of activity right at the end exactly what is going on - but this one definitely sounds better paced with nicer characters. Thank you for a great review, Katherine:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like the book for me! I love love love psycho thrillers and just about all mysteries. You are really turning me on to some great new books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you enjoyed this one, Katherine! It does sound really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm I don't really like unreliable narrators, however Kate sounds like I could easily read the book from her POV and manage to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this one and may read it at some point. Right now, I'm taking a break from this type of book. I've gotten way to cynical and annoyed about them. This happened last year. I'll be back to them soon I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! This type of thriller does hook me in. I like an unreliable narrator now and then if its balanced well with trickling out the information so I don't always feel lost. It really does make the difference when a character is likeable, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was considering this book but hadn't decided if I was going to add it to the tbr or not yet. You have convinced me. I will be checking the library for this one because it sounds like my kind of read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you enjoyed it...I just downloaded it this week. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you enjoyed it. Awesome Review!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh this looks fun. I've been reading a ton of thrillers so I should be unreliable narrator'd out but... I'm not. :) Adding this one. these are like catnip to me lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the review. I like the sound of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have this one marked on my library wishlist so I am glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never heard of this one before, but it sounds good. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete