Wednesday, February 7, 2018

A Muddied Murder - Cozy Mystery Review

Source:  Publicist

Description: 
When Megan Sawyer gives up her big-city law career to care for her grandmother and run the family’s organic farm and cafĂ©, she expects to find peace and tranquility in her scenic hometown of Winsome, Pennsylvania. Instead, her goat goes missing, rain muddies her fields, the town denies her business permits, and her family’s Colonial-era farm sucks up the remains of her savings.

Just when she thinks she’s reached the bottom of the rain barrel, Megan and the town’s hunky veterinarian discover the local zoning commissioner’s battered body in her barn. Now Megan is thrust into the middle of a murder investigation—and she’s the chief suspect. Can Megan dig through small-town secrets, local politics, and old grievances in time to find a killer before that killer strikes again?

Genre: Mystery - Cozy

Why I Picked This Book:
  I've had this series on my TBR since it came out.  I read the 3rd book shortly before Christmas and absolutely loved it so when I was offered the 1st 2 there was no way I could resist!

My Impression:
  So I kind of went about this series a bit backwards.  I read book 3 and then went back to read the first book.  I really enjoyed the 3rd book and was looking forward to seeing how book 1 set up the series.  This didn't disappoint.  Megan has left her prestigious law firm to come home to the family farm.  Her family history is a little sketchy with an unreliable father and a disappearing mother.  Luckily her grandmother, Bibi, has been her rock her entire life.  When she comes home to help Bibi after her father leaves she finds things in a bit of a tangle.  And Bibi isn't giving her straight answers to just what's going on.  Throw in a dead body in the barn and things are decidedly messy.

I loved the mystery and while I did figure out the who I wasn't sure on the why until the very end.  I loved the community of Winsome and Washington Acres Farm.  I loved Clover and Clay, Bibi, Bobby, and even Merry who has some secrets of her own.  I especially loved the Scottish veterinarian, Denver.  He was wonderful - kind with a sense of humor and a touch of temper.  His love of animals especially endeared him to me.  The history angle was also interesting though I do wish it had been expanded on a bit more.  I could have used more details or just an expansion on the history of the farm.

This is a really wonderful series.  It's a great setting with fantastic characters and 2 out of 3 mysteries have been well plotted and entertaining.  Now I can't wait to read book 2 while I wait for the 4th mystery!

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?
  Absolutely!  I'm already looking forward to reading the next book in the series.

Would I Recommend this Book?
  Definitely!  If you're a mystery fan this is a must read series.

11 comments:

  1. This one is on my wishlist. It looks like a great cozy series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! As you were saying you liked 'Bibbi and Bobby', I wondered 'is there a 'Boo'? Sorry. Just where my mind went. Glad you enjoyed this. Interesting setting - never thought about a cozy on an organic farm, but cozies can be anywhere, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds good and I've been enjoying cozies lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute setting, and Denver sounds great too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this series on my to continue list for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a great book. It has been a while since I read a cozy. I think I need to work one in soon. Glad you are enjoying this series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the seed packet cover and would definitely give it a try. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds so fun! Nice it worked out well even though you read em backwards. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read this book about the time it came out, Katherine. I have book 2 and 3 and haven't read them yet so maybe this will spur me on! Good review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely no peace for her! This sounds like a lot of fun and a great start to a new series. I am glad you liked this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a good read. Poor Megan... so many problems at hand. I wonder how she is going to solve all those. Thanks for sharing your review!

    ReplyDelete