Friday, February 23, 2018

Friday Linkups - Claws for Concern














It's Friday linkup time!  I'm linking up with the Book Blogger Hop hosted by Coffee Addicted Writer, Book Beginnings of Fridays hosted by Rose City Reader, and the Friday 56 hosted by Freda's Voice

This Week's Book Blogger Hop Question:
Do you read hardcovers with the dust jacket on or off? Why or Why not?

My Answer:
Always off unless it's a library book with the cover taped on.  Hard backs tend to be a bit unwieldy at the best of times so keeping the paper cover on just ends up driving me crazy.  Plus, I don't want it to get damaged!

This week's book - Claws for Concern by Miranda James - is the newest book in a long running cozy mystery series that I'm just now really discovering.  I read the first book years and years ago and liked it but never went back and read any later books until recently.  I'm enjoying this series about Charlie, a librarian, and his Maine Coon Cat Diesel.

The Beginning:
I couldn't stop checking the clock in the wall nearby.  "Come on, three o'clock," I muttered under my breath.  "Get here already."

My Thoughts:
I can relate.  Why is that time just about stops when you need it to be going faster but flies when you're in a rush to get everything done?


The 56:
"Wanda Nell and I don't want that kind of attention, either.  For that reason I am not intending to use real names.


My Thoughts:
I never trust people who aren't using their real names in mysteries even if they have a valid reason.  It always seems like there's something shady going on.  Granted there's usually at least one dead body so that alone is pretty shady.

So how do you feel about dust jackets on hard covers?  On or off?  Would you keep reading?





29 comments:

  1. Well, I usually keep the dust cover on, but I think that's because I was always checking them and fixing them when I worked at the library. Part of my job as the person who dealt with all the new materials. Sometimes, I had to put some extra tape or whatever. I do agree that they are annoying at times and I hate it when maps are covered up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take the dust jacket off for the same reasons you do. This does sound like a good series. I'm always drawn to one with librarians. This week I am spotlighting Close to the Edge by Dawn Ryder. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always take them off.

    Friends aren't happy when I lend them books without the jacket, but I don't want the cover to get damaged.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup I'm the same way! And since a lot of my reading is done with library books I don't have to deal with it quite often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the sound of Claws for Concern...and I know I've read a couple of books in the series, because that Maine Coon cat is definitely familiar...LOL.

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    For me, the dust covers stay on, because I love them. But they do require a great deal of care, as I don't like them to be torn or messed up in any way. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOvely book cover, Katherine. "Get here already" sounds sooooo American to me. :)

    Here's mine: http://bit.ly/2CgXiSz

    Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a dust jacket off person myself so I don't ruin the cover as well.

    And funny you should pick this book. I'm 50 pages into it myself. Because of that, the 56 made me very intrigued. I have a tiny bit more context to it, and now I really want to know what is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always remove the dust jacket and place it back when it goes on the shelf or if I give the book away. Except library books of course!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My son doesn't like dust jackets, but I do. Our library doesn't take donations of hardbacks unless the jacket is still on, so I try to save them.

    The cat on the cover getting into the bouquet seems familiar...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't started this series yet, although I bought the first paperback when it was published. I've been eyeing each of the subsequent books too--I love the covers and the playful, clever titles.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like such a fun cozy!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I just love this cover! And that beginning is SO relatable! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree, I think it's just easy to take them off! Also that cover is adorable!

    My Book Blogger Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tend to take the covers off of hardback books too. I know they are meant to "protect" the book, but the covers tend to be the thing that gets damaged when I leave them on.

    I hope you like Claws for Concern! I just love Diesel!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't heard of this book, but it sound interesting! Great quote!

    Here’s my Friday 56!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am new to cozy mysteries but each one that I have picked up so far has been a winner! This one looks intriguing :)

    Megan @ Ginger Mom's Book Blogger Hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cute kitty on the cover!
    I usually leave dust jackets on when I read.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like dust jackets and want them to be reasonably pristine - but Himself is something of a chaos demon who can simply look at a book and the cover gets torn and crumpled:)).

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really need to read a cozy! You all have me wanting to read one everytime I see you review them! :)

    I always take them off, I hate for them to get ripped or ruined.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm completely charmed by the title of this one. I usually read hardcovers with the dust jacket on, unless I really love the cover and am afraid to ruin it or it's white. Too likely to get dirtied. Is that a word?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree, if reading a hardback the dust jacket must be off.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ok, oops, I do keep the covers on library books, but they tend to be extra protected with plastic.

    That book cover is cute! Looks like a good story. May have to check it out.

    Here's my link- https://wp.me/p6C2DX-1sq

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lots of people take them off it seems, it never occurred to me to do so. I don't read a lot of cosy mysteries but I like how they nearly always feature a cat.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm also worried about damage, but mostly when I lend books to other people.

    eli @ the (book) supplier
    My Blogger Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
  25. I never take a dust jacket off any of my books. I like to look at them and I've never had a problem with leaving them on.

    ReplyDelete
  26. When reading hardbacks, I keep the dust jacket on. I will also use the flap as a bookmark.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I believe I moved this series up. I like it when the cat has character.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I feel the exact same about dust jackets.

    ReplyDelete