Monday, February 26, 2018

Claws for Concern - Cozy Mystery Review

Source: Publisher

Description:  
Charlie Harris has been enjoying some peace and quiet with his new grandson when a mysterious man with a connection to an unsolved murder starts visiting the library...

Genre:  Mystery - Cozy

Why I Picked This Book:
  I enjoyed the previous book and wanted to spend more time with Diesel - oh and Charlie!

My Impression:
  I really loved the premise here.  Not only does it involve a murder that went cold long ago but it has Charlie teaming up with a true crime author to try and solve it.  While the previous book - Twelve Angry Librarians - focused more on Charlie's career as a librarian, here the focus is on his personal life.

I loved seeing more of Charlie at home with his grandson, his kids, and his friends.  While I really enjoyed the mystery in the previous book this made me feel like I was getting to know Charlie just a little bit better.  I especially loved watching he and Helen Louise navigate their relationship now that they've both tried to ease up on their professional responsibilities and spend more time together.

I love how the mystery was woven into Charlie trying to learn more about his late uncle.  While there is some very real modern day danger most of the mystery occurred decades previously.  I loved delving into the past and learning more about Charlie's uncle as well as trying to figure out just who had killed the Barber family all those years ago.

This isn't a hold your breath stay up late kind of read.  While it isn't cutesy it's very much on the cozy side of cozy.  This is a gentle mystery (I mean yes an entire family gets murdered and there is some violence but it's all very off page) with likable characters with a main character who's a librarian.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?  Absolutely!  I'm already looking forward to the next book!

Would I Recommend this Book?
  I would!  Even if you haven't read anything in this series before I don't think you'd have too much trouble jumping in here.

9 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you liked this. I like cold cases mysteries too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does look like a cute one. And sometimes those "cozy" cozies are just a nice, relaxing read. Glad you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cold case mysteries, although I haven't read one for a while now. Glad to see you enjoyed this one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this series. I can't wait to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read and enjoyed some books by this author...and I am curious about this one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a great series. I like that it focuses on an old case and that cover is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A cosy - cosy, now you're talking! Will check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad you enjoyed this one, Katherine! Diesel is such a great cat. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that set up totally temps me. Cute cover, too :)

    ReplyDelete