Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Top Ten Tuesday - Ten Unlikable Characters That Didn't Ruin the Book For Me


Today I'm linking up with Top Ten Tuesday hosted by 
That Artsy Reader Girl which is all about lists.  Since lists are one of my favorite things this is one of my favorite linkups!  Today's topic is about Unlikable Characters I Can't Help But Love.  Love may be a bit strong so I changed it to Ten Unlikable Characters that didn't ruin the book for me!


1.  The whole cast of characters in Daisy Darker by Alice Feeney - I just read this book and I'm not sure I really liked a single character in the book.  That said it kept me absolutely hooked until the end.

2.  The whole cast of characters in The Paris Apartment by Lucy Foley - Pretty much ditto above except I don't think I enjoyed this one as much as the above book.

3.  Helen Frick in The Magnolia Palace by Fiona Davis - Helen Frick is a complicated character in this book.  I felt sorry for her but at the same time her behavior is so awful you can't help but dislike her as well.  

4.  Beth Greer in The Book of Cold Cases by Simone St. James - To be fair no one in this book is particularly likable but Beth Greer is probably the most complicated.

5.  Rebecca in Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier - Honestly, I like Rebecca more then the unnamed narrator because Rebecca actually does things instead of just ringing her hands and taking bad advice.  Granted, everything that Rebecca does is conniving, manipulative, and with terrible intentions but still!


6.  Ms. Cole in On Borrowed Time by Jenn McKinlay - Ms. Cole (aka The Lemon) is one of my favorite characters.  She's quick to point out other characters' failings and always has a snide comment.  Her character arc is one of my favorite things about this whole series.

7.  The whole cast of characters with the exception of Nick in The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald - I read this in high school and remember liking it but was shocked by how terrible all these people were when I reread it a few years ago.  The narrator is okay but pretty much everyone else is just awful (though I do still really love the book).  Every time I see a party or prom with a "Gatsby" theme I can't help but wonder if the planners ' have ever read the book!

8.   Fig in Naughty in Nice by Rhys Bowen - Fig is the sister-in-law of the main character Georgie and she is the absolutely the worst.  She's judgmental, closeminded, image before everything else, and stingy to name a few negative traits!  

9.  Agatha Raisin from the Agatha Raisin Mystery series by M.C. Beaton - Agatha Raisin is the most maddening main character in a cozy series that I've ever come across.  She's silly and over the top and absolutely ridiculous but at the same time I can't help but like her.  

10. Mary Bennet in The Secret Life of Miss Mary Bennet by Katherine Cowley -  I picked up the audio of this book earlier this year and enjoyed it but Mary drove me crazy.  I did feel bad for her because her manner is so off-putting that she pushes people away but doesn't understand what is happening.

What books do you enjoy that have unlikable characters?

9 comments:

  1. I should re-read The Great Gatsby and see what I think now. 📚

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love your characters! I was never fond of Daisy from The Great Gatsby at all. Love your take on Rebecca!! LOL!! Couldn't agree more.

    Have a wonderful Tuesday Katherine!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! The only one I've read is The Great Gatsby and that was a very long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you completely about the characters in The Paris Apartment. No one was likeable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! The Great Gatsby did have a lot of unlikeable characters

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes indeed Fig is awful for sure but the series is good. I must start noticing horrible characters I don't like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha. THE GREAT GATSBY is one of my least favorite books of all time. All of the characters are just so awful. I get that Fitzgerald is trying to make a point about emptiness and such, but STILL. Ugh. It seems like a lot of thrillers these days are the same way, just populated with a whole bunch of awful people. At least the stories are usually engrossing so you still want to read them even if you can't stand any of the characters!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have read none of these books! I feel like I can enjoy a story even when I don't like any of the characters but it is harder to do with romance.

    ReplyDelete