Saturday, November 12, 2022

The Benevent Treasure - Classic Mystery Review

Goodreads:  The Benevent Treasure by Patricia Wentworth

Rating: Loved It! (5 Stars)
Source:   Purchased

Description:  Invited to live with her two great-aunts, the Misses Cara and Olivia Benevent, Candida Sayle has no home of her own and accepts. But the offer takes on an eerie quality when the aunts recall the family legacy--the Benevent Treasure that brings death to all who touch it. When Candida becomes reacquainted with local architect Stephen Eversley, he worries for her safety and calls in Miss Silver. But she is already on the case, investigating the mysterious disappearance years earlier of a man who worked for the sisters, and knew a bit too much, perhaps, about the Benevent Treasure.

Genre: Mystery - Classic



My Impression: This was my favorite Miss Silver book in awhile.  While I always enjoy Wentworth's writing style and any book Miss Silver in the last few have had a certain sameness.  This has some similarities to other Wentworth books - a young woman who is pretty much on her own, a bit of romance, and a sinister setting.

Candida is excited to connect with her grandmother's estranged sisters after the death of her aunt who was her only known relation.  Miss Silver is visiting a cousin when she happens to share a train compartment with a man who recognizes her and asks for her help regarding his long lost stepson.  How these two plots are connected makes for an interesting and entertaining mystery.

I really enjoyed how Miss Silver got pulled into this and while she's not front and center in the investigation she provides interesting guidance for Candida and Stephen as well as driving her cousin crazy with her unwillingness to gossip.  This has a bit more suspense then I've seen in her previous books with a bit of a treasure hunt which really added to the fun.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author? Definitely!  I'm really looking forward to reading the next book.

Would I Recommend this Book?  Absolutely!  This is a fun one and I think would be a good one to start with.

6 comments:

  1. I haven't read any classic mysteries, but it sounds like I'm missing out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suspense and Miss Silver not being drawn into gossip! Go her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when a book hits just right. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to get into classic mysteries. They sound so intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Next year Katherine.. Next year.... It will be me and Miss Silver!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a rule, I don't read classics but I could see myself enjoying a classic mystery. Great review!

    ReplyDelete