Saturday, November 19, 2022

The Gazebo - Classic Mystery Review

Goodreads: The Gazebo by Patricia Wentworth

Rating: Loved It! (5 Stars) 
Source:   Publisher

Description:  Although Althea Graham's hypochondriac mother rarely visited the gazebo on their property, she is found dead there one morning. So Althea and her longtime fiancĂ© are finally free to marry. They are also the chief suspects. Fortunately, Miss Silver is a friend of Althea's.

Genre: Mystery - Classic

My Impression:   Miss Silver is a very handy friend to have - especially if you are innocent but suspected of murder.  Althea Graham finds herself very much in this position when her mother who has always very much enjoyed her poor health is found dead in the gazebo in the back of the property.  

Miss Silver meets the Grahams by chance and connects with Althea because a mutual friend has sung Miss Silver's praises to Althea.  I really liked that Miss Silver had a chance to interact with the victim and to get a handle on different relationship dynamics prior to the murder.

There are quite a few things going on in this small English suburb apart from the murder and all of the bits and pieces kept me hooked and invested in the mystery.  I really like that Miss Silver has a more up front role in this story as this is not always the case.  This was an entertaining classic mystery with village gossips, likable main characters,  and one of the best private detectives and her Scotland Yard side kick.  

Would I Read More of this Series/Author? Absolutely!  I'm looking forward to the next book!

Would I Recommend this Book? If you enjoy classic mysteries this is a great book to introduce you to Miss Silver and Frank Abbott.

6 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it. Now I'm wondering if she did kill her mom and if not did her fiancé, or did they do it together. If not, who killed them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard wonderful things about Patricia Wentworth's writing. I'm glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds awesome. and lovely cover! I want to read more of the classic mysteries. .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like this one has all the best elements of a Miss Silver mystery that you relish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds really good but I hope to never need the services of someone like Miss Silver!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read anything by Patricia Wentworth but, I've heard she's very good!

    ReplyDelete