Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Top Ten Tuesday - Ten Comfort Reads


Today I'm linking up with Top Ten Tuesday hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl which is all about lists.  Since lists are one of my favorite things this is one of my favorite linkups!  Today's topic is about comfort reads.  Here are 10 books I tend to reach for when I'm needing a bit of comfort and/or distraction.


1.  The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgens Burnett - This was one of my absolute favorite books when I was a child but I was surprised when I reread it as an adult that I might have enjoyed it even more.  I love getting lost in the rambling old manor house and exploring the gardens and watching Mary go from a rather dreadful human being to who she really is.

2.  The Four Story Mistake by Elizabeth Enright - This is another childhood favorite that transitioned into a favorite adult read.  I love taking a break from stress and immersing myself in the Melendy family adventures.  

3.  And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie - This is one of my favorite Christie books and I love getting lost in the detail and the mystery when I need a break.  

4.  Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas - This is one I reread when I'm not feeling mystery and not feeling middle grade.  I love the two main characters and love getting lost in their world.

5.  Belles on Their Toes by Frank B. Gilbreth Jr. and Ernestine Gilbreth Carey - I love Cheaper by the Dozen but the lesser known sequel is my go-to comfort read.  It isn't as well written as the first book but it holds a special place in my heart and is really the story of the mother of the family - Lillian - who was a fascinating woman in her own right.


6.  The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery- This is one of Montgomery's few - and maybe only - adult book and it's just a charming story.  It's hard not to love Verity and root for her throughout the book.

7.  Flowers in the Rain and Other Stories by Rosamunde Pilcher - I'm not the biggest fan of Pilcher's smaller books and when I'm reading for comforts I'm not really wanting massive family sagas.  This short story collection is just perfect.  They're a little trite but in the best possible way and I always love rereading them.

8.  Sleeping Murder by Agatha Christie - This is probably my favorite Christie mysteries to reread and picking it up to reread it is basically the definitely of cozy.  

9.  The Case of William Smith by Patricia Wentworth - Pretty much ditto above except replace Christie with Wentworth.

10. Gone Away Lake by Elizabeth Enright - The only thing I don't love about this book is that I didn't read it as a child because I would have loved it.  Luckily, I love it as an adult and this is such a comforting read for when I need a little cheering up or distraction.

What are some of your comfort reads?


6 comments:

  1. These sound good. I haven't read any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to read The Secret Garden. I've only seen the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I liked Verity too in The Blue Castle. I haven't read The Secret Garden but I must and i want to watch the movie of it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've enjoyed several historicals by Kleypas.
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to re-read The Secret Garden. 🗝

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard that Lisa Kleypas's historical romances are wonderful. My go-to comfort reads are cozy mysteries.

    ReplyDelete