Friday, May 13, 2022

Friday Fives - Five Mini Reviews


I'm taking a bit of a break from my usual Friday Linkups to try something a little different.  I'm in a list making kind of mood so I thought I'd start making random five lists.  Sometimes they'll be bookish other weeks not so much. This week I'm sharing 5 quick reviews for books I've read recently.


1.  Second Sight by Amanda Quick - This is the first book in the Arcane Society and is the story of Gabriel Jones and Venetia Milton.  Gabriel is in charge of the Arcane Society that has hired Venetia Milton to photograph and document the Society's collection.   Their time together is interrupted by an attack and Venetia is left to rebuild her life as a "widow" running a photography business.  This was an entertaining story with  a likable and practical heroine.  Gabriel is a bit flat and a bit heavy handed on the alpha male side of thing but never got annoying.  This wouldn't be an Amanda Quick/Jayne Ann Krentz without it being an entertaining read and it didn't disappoint.  I'm looking forward to seeing how the series continues.  My Rating: Liked It


2.  The Body in the Garden by Katharine Schellman - I picked this book up because I picked up the 3rd book in the series without realizing it was the 3rd book in the series so obviously I had to read the first 2 books.  This was a delight!  I really enjoy historical mysteries and I'm so excited to find a new series that I really enjoy.  Lily Adler is an interesting and likable main character with common sense and a dash of daring.  I also love a team element and Ophelia Oswald and Captain Jack Hartley make a fun team and work really well with Lily.   The mystery was interesting and while I did guess the reveal a little before Lily I was curious as to how she would pull everything together.  I'm so excited to have discovered this series and can't wait to continue with it!  My Rating: Really Liked It!


3. Midnight at the Blackbird Cafe by Heather Webber - This book gave me strong Sarah Addison Allen vibes. It could be because the premise was vaguely similar to a book by that author that I had just read.  Regardless, this is a story set in a small Southern town with a focus on community and healing.  There are strong elements of magical realism and two strong main characters who are connected but have had very different paths.  I absolutely loved this book from beginning to end and wish there were more books to be set in the town of Wicklow, Alabama as there are so many memorable characters in the town that I would love to see again.  My Rating: Loved It!


4.  Crime on the Fens by Joy Ellis - This police procedural set in the UK has been on my TBR for ages and I just finally got around to listening to the audio and I'm so glad I do.  I mostly read cozy mysteries but every once in awhile I want something a little grittier and this was perfect.  While the subject matter is dark and there is violence it isn't overly detailed or grisly.  I really liked DI Nikki Galena.  She's driven and on a mission but not of her own ambition.   The addition of DS Joseph Easter softened the edges without going romantic (and I'm hoping it stays that way) and humanized her.  The rest of the team is capable and interesting.  This is a procedural series I'm really excited to continue with.  My Rating: Loved It!


5.  Marrying Winterborne by Lisa Kleypas - It's been a long time since I read a historical romance and I wasn't sure what I was going to think when I picked this one up.  I ended up absolutely loving it.  Helen is a delightful character.  She's kind natured with a warm heart and is not naturally confrontational but is learning to express herself and stand up for herself.   Rhys is a little harder to like.  He's a kind man with a fair and generous nature but because of his past is used to keeping up his defenses and using arrogance as a shield.  The relationship between the two feels authentic and genuine and it is easy to believe that their relationship is lasting.  There is a Secret in this book which is one of my least favorite plot devices.  However, in this case I can understand why it is kept and not shared.  I'm looking forward to reading more historical romance and more of Kleypas's Ravenal books in the future!  My Rating: Loved It!

What have you read recently?

6 comments:

  1. Glad you started the Arcane Society series. It's been so long since I read the first one, but love the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cover for The Body in the Garden. 📚

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of these sound great! I still need to read that Kleypas book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only read a few books by Lisa Kleypas, but they have all been wonderful. Now I need to read more! Nice reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of good books, pleased you loved Heather Webber's book, this one made me interested in reading more from her. Have some planned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the DI Nikki Galena series, I have gotten behind on it and need to start reading it again!

    ReplyDelete