Sunday, May 15, 2022

Life With Leukemia, A Puppy, And Some Reading - May 15


 It's Sunday Post time!  This is hosted by the awesome Caffeinated Book Reviewer and gives us all a chance to recap our week.

What I Got:


An Unforgiving Place by Claire Kells - I really enjoyed the early Nevada Barr books that were set in National Parks so I was excited to see this one which looks like an intriguing mystery.  (Publisher)

Currently:


Read:
  Fatal Flowers by Jess Dylan and The Villa by Nora Roberts

Listening:  Riviera Gold by Laurie R. King



Last weekend we went to Louisiana for the Dream Day Foundation event which is connected to the Baton Rouge affiliate of St Jude Children's Research Hospital.  This is a big event with fishing, a big petting zoo, food and all kinds of different games and crafts for kids and their families who are either in active treatment, through treatment, or the family of those whose fight has ended.  Will's immune system numbers had been trending down and honestly if we had been going anywhere else we wouldn't have been able to go.  We had such a good time!  Pre-pandemic we had spent several months in the New Orleans area so we went down a day early and went to some of our favorite restaurants and the drove over to Mississippi to visit the beaches we spent so much time at.  It was really fun.  The event in Baton Rouge was also so much fun!  We don't really fish but we had a fabulous time at the petting zoo part.  They had a camel, ducklings, chicks, goats, bunnies, a tortoise, an Alpaca, an owl (NOT for petting), some baby alligators and a number of other things.  Will got tired pretty quickly but he had such a good time!  And he ate at his favorite fast food - Raising Cane's 5 times in 4 days.  It's a chicken fingers and fries place and while not healthy I must admit it is pretty tasty.  Unfortunately, his immune system numbers have continued to drop so we are housebound for the week.  Luckily, he's feeling good and not showing any sign of any infection but if something did happen he would really have no defense for it.  This isn't unusual in leukemia patients though he is proving to be extra sensitive to several of the chemo drugs.


While we were in Louisiana, Rover boarded at our vet for the first time.  We love our vet and they kind of a resort boarding area.  Honestly, I expected him to barely notice we were gone but he was so excited to see me when I picked him up I felt a little guilty.  We are starting Manners class again this week.  This is second go round and while he did great he needs a bit more maturity and we are working on him being able to calm down easily.  He's not quite 7 months old so he's still got a puppy brain even though it's in a 60 pound (and growing!) body.

Friday was my birthday and we had such a nice time!  We drove down the beach and stopped in Bay St Louis at this absolutely amazing ice cream place. We stopped at our favorite beach (not the one in the picture) and dipped our toes in the water and just relaxed a bit.  It was such a nice day.  I celebrate a birthday season so I'm still officially celebrating until at least the first week or so of June so I still have lots of plan.  

Have a great week and happy reading!


19 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a great trip and birthday. I'll be looking for your review of An Unforgiving Place. The National Parks setting appeals to me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy Will had a good deal of fun! And food! 🤗

    Rover looks happy to be back with his human pack. 😊

    Happy birthday! 🎉🎉🎉 We have birthday month here, but I think I tell you this every year, ha ha. It's just nice to meet another super celebrator. 😁 I hope you continue to have a wonderful celebration season. 🎂

    Have a wonderful new week. 🌞

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that you were able to go to the Dream Day event. It sounds like a great time and you definitely deserve a bit of a getaway. I have a Raising Canes a couple of miles from my house but have never ate there, of course, I am the only person in my household who could eat there so there is that. Rover looks very happy to be home. Happy Birthday, Katherine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no, sorry to hear that Will's numbers are down but glad you were still able to go and have fun at Dream day and that he got to eat at his favorite place a lot. :) Rover is getting so big! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m glad you had a great birthday and the Dream Day events sounded like you made some great memories. Have a wonderful week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you were able to get out and have fun! And Happy Birthday! My Sunday Post: https://bonniereadsandwrites.wordpress.com/2022/05/15/sunday-post-4/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday dearest Katherine! I am glad to hear you had a good day and that you and Will enjoyed the excursion as well earlier in the week.

    Our two labs once stayed at a farm when Lea was also about 7 months. Hercules could manage to open his own cage and Lea, so they went roaming on the farm. Ever since then, if we go away, we rather organize a pet-sitter!!!

    Hope you will have a good and peaceful week. We are still on holidays, so I don't have very much planned here.

    Lots of Love,

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday, and your week sounds wonderful! Enjoy your books and the upcoming week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you guys had a great time! LA sounds so awesome. And glad that Will got to eat at a favorite place several times! I have to say it looks good! :)

    Hope his numbers trend up and that you guys have a great week. Happy birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a Nevada Barr state park thriller reader. I'll look up the Unforgiving Place.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a Nevada Barr reader, in fact it's in my Series on Saturday theme yesterday, so I'll want to see The Unforgiving Place. Happy Birthday! Mine was Thursday and we also went to the beach on Wednesday. I'm glad you all were able to go to the event in NOLA even though it's a week that's more isolated coming up.

    Anne - Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fab way to celebrate your birthday- ice cream and the beach. I’m praying Will’s numbers trend up very soon.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad you got to do such a fun outing with Will. The petting zoo sounded awesome. I love alpacas. :) I'm glad you had a good birthday too! I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday! I'm so glad you were able to get out and have some family fun time! I used to work near a Raising Caine's and ate there way too often! It's so good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday! It sounds like a great celebration. Glad you had a nice trip too. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy birthday late! I like the sound of the ice cream. Hoping Will's numbers come up and glad he had a good time at Dream Day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday!! So glad to see you all having a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Katherine, I missed this post last week but, I 'm happy you were able to have some fun time together as a family. Happy belated birthday as well.

    ReplyDelete