Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Top Ten Tuesday - My Favorite Books I Read in 2019

Today I'm linking up with Top Ten Tuesday hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl which is all about lists.  Since lists are one of my favorite things this is one of my favorite linkups!  Today's topic is Favorite Books of 2019.  I'm sticking with favorite books I read this year so I make no promises about the actual year of publication!


1.  The Last Seance by Agatha Christie - Was this the best book of 2019?  Nope not even close and I suspect non Agatha Christie fans will be seriously underwhelmed by a number of stories in this book.  But I was so delighted to read stories by Christie that I had never come across before that that overcame every other objection!

2.  The House on Hallowed Ground by Nancy Cole Silverman - This mystery was an absolute delight with history, likable characters, and a ghost or two with a dose of old Hollywood glam.  It also ended up being a perfect escape for a really tough time this year.

3.  The Printed Letter Bookshop by Katherine Reay - I absolutely loved this book.  There's an inherited bookstore, characters who have had their lives upended and are trying to put it right.  It was just perfect.

4.  The Case of William Smith by Patricia Wentworth - I love this book and every time I reread this mystery I like it even more.

5.  The Hollow by Agatha Christie - It had been years since I had read this book and it was such a delight.


6.  Owl Be Home for Christmas by Donna Andrews - A fabulously pun-ish title, a group of eccentric academics snowed into a gorgeous inn, and of course a murder.

7.  Bitter Feast by Deborah Crombie - I love this series and was so thrilled to read this newest entry.  It did not disappoint!

8.  Dark Witch by Nora Roberts - I read this trilogy right when it came out and was kind of meh about it.  Then this year I listened to the first book on audio and flew through all three books and absolutely loved them all.

9. Dead Wake by Erik Larson - I've heard raves about Larson's nonfiction books for years and this was the first one I picked up by him.  It was fascinating and everyone around me was inundated with Lusitania facts the whole time I was reading it.

10. Watching You by Lisa Jewell - I love Lisa Jewell's suspense titles on audio and this might just be my favorite one so far.

What were some of your favorite reads this year?

12 comments:

  1. I read a few good books this year but a lot that I looked forward to turned out to be disappointing which is a pity! Still, I hope we both find great books next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the Christie one at Barnes & Noble- love the cover! And I really liked Watching You! That made my list too.

    Happy NY!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the Lisa Jewell book, as a matter of fact I’ve now read 4 of her books since October when I discovered her.

    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just saw that Erik Larson has a new book coming in 2020. The Devil in the Whit City was fascinating, but I don't think I've read any of his others...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice list of books! And I've actually read 2 of them. Loved Bitter Feast and read The Hollow long ago. Time for a reread I think. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have yet to read an Agatha Christie novel but I will one of these days. I don't think I'll start with 'The last seance' though. I keep confusing 'Watching you' with 'The woman in the window' by AJ Finn which is strange because I have not read either book. It might have been the covers, I don't know.

    Have a great new year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Printed Letter Bookshop was one of mine too and I have a feeling it was your review that put me on to it. It's a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. From your list, I have a lot of great books to look forward to. These all sound wonderful. I am glad you enjoyed them, Katherine. I hope you have a wonderful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like you returned to a few favourites this year with some positive outcomes having done so - it is always nice & comforting returning to both stories & authors you know and love.

    Happy reading in 2020!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am determined to read some Agatha Christie this year!! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read any of these, but several of them are on my TBR list. I'm glad you found some great reads this year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have yet to read Dead Wake but I do enjoy Larsen's books. Sounds like this is one to get to soon.

    ReplyDelete