Friday, December 27, 2019

Friday Fives - Five Reading Goals in 2020

I'm taking a bit of a break from my usual Friday Linkups to try something a little different.  Michelle over at Because Reading is Better Than Real Life   used to do a Five on Fridays that I always enjoyed and I've seen a few other variations on the theme.  As well I'm in a list making kind of mood so I thought I'd give start making random five lists.  Sometimes they'll be bookish other weeks not so much.  Since this is the last Friday of 2019 (how is that possible???)  I'm thinking of my reading goals for 2020.  This year I'm doing things a bit differently and changing my focus a bit so they're not exactly stretch goals!


1.  Read 104 books - This year I had set my goal at 200 but it at around 125 (the final count isn't in yet!) it ended up being one of my lowest reading years in ages.  So this year I'm just trying to read 2 books a week.

2.  Not Be So List Conscious - I've never been much of a mood reader but in the past few years I've gotten way away from mood reading and end up scheduling out my reads a month at a time.  I feel like over time this has sucked a little of the excitement away from picking out my next reads and I want to get that back.


3.  Use the Library More - I love wandering around the library (or the bookstore) and picking up books that catch my eye but I've stopped lately because I'm so behind on my lists it just adds pressure.  But if I'm reading more spontaneously then this won't be a problem.

4.  Read More of My Own Books - And treat my at home like the library where I just wander through my shelves and pick up whatever book catches my eye.

5.  Work On My Shelf of Shame - I have so many review books sitting on my shelf (virtual or otherwise) that I'd really like to get to but they get lost behind the newest shiniest books.  I'd like to spend my time picking up neglected books gathering dust in the back of these shelves and show them a little light.

What are your reading goals for 2020?

11 comments:

  1. I'm setting my Goodreads target lower as 200 was a struggle. Maybe 100 or 120 and I can adjust it higher if I reach my target early. It'll be less stressful that way! I'm sticking to reducing my TBR and mood reading for this coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your goals all sound great. Sometimes we seem to 'must' ourselves right out of the fun of reading - which is what brought us all together. So, here's a fun, peaceful, easy-going reading year for 2020! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. #2!! YES! I get so stuck in my schedule that picking my next read has lost it's fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you and made similar goals myself but mainly with that idea of leisurely reading, its why I am being tough on myself about review books, no more than two a month for reading and if my month is filled I just got to shake my head. I am tired of scheduling too. No reading challenges either for the same reason. I just wanna be free!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm totally a mood reader as well and this year worked really well for me just picking up whatever I felt like at the moment. I'm hoping to continue that in 2020. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not being so list conscious is a good one. I'm reading classics and books about classic authors and their books next year. 👍✨

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great goals! I’ll have to consider some, other than the challenges I’ve already decided to join.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice goals! I need to use the library more this year, too. Good luck to both of us on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great goals, Katherine! I'm working on my goals list and hope to have it done for next week. We'll see if I get that goal accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are all good goals--and probably ones I should adopt too. Haha! I hope you have a great reading year in 2020!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep doing what I've done: Keep it real and organic. Like today, I didn't roll through the new book section because there are two holds I want to eventually read after I finish a cozy and my book club read.

    ReplyDelete