Friday, December 29, 2023

Friday Fives - Five Quick Reviews for Books I've Read Recently


I'm taking a bit of a break from my usual Friday Linkups to try something a little different.  I'm in a list making kind of mood so I thought I'd start making random five lists.  Sometimes they'll be bookish other weeks not so much. This week I'm sharing 5 quick reviews for books I've read recently.


1.  The Unseen by Heather Graham - I love this series and this was a fun one with lots of Texas history - especially connected to the Alamo.  I liked Logan and Kelsey quite a bit and the fact they were able to admit their various "gifts" fairly early on.  The addition of the birds added a bit of creepiness which I enjoyed.  A new team of Krewe members has been put together in this book and I'm really looking forward to reading more of their books as each member was interesting with unique specialties.  This was a quick read that kept me hooked and the end was not quite what I expected which was fun.  My Rating: Really Liked It (4 Stars)


2.  Zero Days by Ruth Ware -
It's been awhile since I read something by Ruth Ware.  After loving her first two books I was meh on the next one and DNF'd another one.  However, I decided to give her another try and I'm so glad I did.  Jack and her husband, Gabe, specialize in breaking into businesses and testing security systems - that is until everything goes terribly wrong and Gabe is murdered.  I really enjoyed the audio of this read by Imogen Church.  I appreciated that Jack and Gabe have a solid relationship and Jack's heart break is palpable throughout the story and both hinders and helps her find the truth of what happened.  I figured out the reveal a bit quicker than Jack but was still caught up with how all the moving parts came together for the end.  I'm so glad I gave Ware's thriller's another chance.  They're compelling and page turning without being quite as unsettling as others I've read - a bit of a cozier thriller I guess?  Regardless, I'm looking forward to catching up on Ware's books that I have missed.  My Rating: Really Liked It! (4.5 Stars)


3.  Devil's Daughter by Lisa Kleypas - Devil in Winter
is probably my favorite historical romance and since the main characters in that book feature fairly prominently in this book I might be a trifle biased but I absolutely loved this one.  West has been one of my favorite characters since he first appeared in the Ravenel series and he shone as a lead character in this book.  His issues felt authentic and his humor had me laughing out loud several times.  Phoebe is a delight - intelligent and stubborn but also willing to listen and not hard headed to a fault.  I loved their story and watching them overcome the obstacles.  And as I loved the part that Sebastian from Devil in Winter played in this book.  As soon as I finished listening to this I immediately purchased a copy as I know I will want to reread it soon.  My Rating: Loved It (5 Stars)


4.  A Few of the Girls by Maeve Binchey -
This is a lovely collection of short stories that reminded me of just how much I enjoyed the one book by Maeve Binchey I've read and that I really need to read more of her novels.  The short stories cover all kinds of situations focusing on all kinds of relationships - from family, to romantic, to friendships, and most importantly with ones self.  I enjoyed this and the audio is beautifully done with a fantastic group of narrations.  That said I think I would have enjoyed this more if I had read it as it is the perfect book to pick up and read a story at a time like sampling a box of chocolates.  My Rating: Really Liked It (4 Stars)


5.  Deadly Gift by Heather Graham -
This is the third book about the three Flynn brothers who own their own private investigative business.  This book is about Zach Flynn.  He's called to Rhode Island to help protect a family friend who became ill under mysterious circumstances after the mysterious disappearance of his business partner.  This was a bit darker than the others with more than the usual paranormal elements.  This was a fun read and I enjoyed that it was a bit unexpected.  There were even a couple of things that caught me by surprise.  My Rating: Really Liked It (4 Stars)



2 comments:

  1. You found some great ones. I think Unseen is where I am at in the Heather Graham series. I love Ruth Ware.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of these, but they sound good.

    ReplyDelete