Sunday, June 3, 2018

This Week in Reading - June 3


It's Sunday Post time!  This is hosted by the awesome Caffeinated Book Reviewer and gives us all a chance to recap our week.

What I Got:

Scandal Above Stairs by Jennifer Ashley - I adored the first book in this series and am so excited to start reading this one!  (Publisher)

Bought the Farm by Peg Cochran - I've enjoyed a few other books by Peg Cochran in other series so this looks like a fun read.  (Publisher)

A Panicked Premonition by Victoria Laurie - This was one of the first cozy mystery series that I ever read and I'm looking forward to reading this latest one. (Publisher)

A Just Clause by Lorna Barrett - It's been awhile since I visited Tricia and her cat, Miss Marple, in Booktown so I'm looking forward to seeing what they're up to.  (Publisher)

Once Upon a Spine by Kate Carlisle - This is another one of my first cozy series and one of my favorites.  Looking forward to this newest one.  (Publisher)

Death and Daisies by Amanda Flower - It's a flower shop in Scotland with a magical walled garden.  I cannot resist this!  (NetGalley)

Currently:

Reading: Once Upon a Spine by Kate Carlisle and Ain't She a Peach by Molly Harper

Listening:  A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman.  I haven't gotten very far but am on the fence about how I feel about it.

Watching:  I haven't watched that much tv lately but I've got a couple of movies I'd like to see.

Off the Blog:


We went up to Nashville last weekend and stayed at the Opryland Hotel and then visited The Hermitage.  Both were really beautiful and the Tornado loved the hotel.  We walked over 4 miles exploring the 3 different atriums of the hotel.  I think we'll go back around Christmas for the ice sculptures and the Charlie Brown Christmas display.   The Hermitage is lovely and the grounds are stunning though I wish we could have explored them more but the weather wasn't cooperating.

This week we took it easy with lots of lazy days.  We're getting the tail end of one of the tropical storms so we've had some rainy days which kept us indoors.  I've had a headache on and off all week which has kept from fully enjoying the lazy week but I'm hoping that's going away now.  I'm working on a way to bribe the Tornado into reading.  Kind of a read x number of books and get a reward type system.  We've also been playing a Nancy Drew game on the computer and lots of Mario Kart on the Switch.  I'm hoping to be slightly more productive this week!

On the Blog:

What Happened:

What's Coming Up:

Monday:  Reviews from the Children's Section - The Castle in the Mist
Tuesday:  Movie Essentials - Stage Door (1937)
Wednesday:  Lowcountry Bookshop and Rockets' Red Glare - Cozy Mini Reviews
Thursdays:  Dreams of Falling - Fiction Review
Friday:  Friday Linkups with Current Book
Saturday:  Once Upon a Spine - Cozy Mystery Review

Have a great week and happy reading!

33 comments:

  1. Scandal Above Stairs looks interesting...and so does Once Upon a Spine. Opryland Hotel sounds amazing.

    Enjoy your week, and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scandal Above Stairs looks great! I haven't read the first one yet, but I want to.

    Thpse pictures are amazing! And I love the sound of the Charlie Brown Christmas display- I didn't know about that! Looks like a place to add to the travel list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that headache of yours stays away. I've been fighting one off and on the last couple of weeks myself. I am glad you had a nice trip. The photos are gorgeous! I am reading Scandal Above Stairs now, although am not too far in. I had hoped to read at the park today, but I spent more time with my eyes on my daughter. LOL I hope you have a great week, Katherine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Just Clause sounds right up my street - I hope you're feeling better, and that you have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am excited about Scandal Above Stairs too! Your day trip sounds like it was wonderful. Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those pictures are gorgeous! I hope you enjoyed your trip and your lazy days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is A Panicked Premonition part of the Psychic Eye series? I can't remember what book I got up to, it was the one where they all moved (and by all, I mean ALL - I found that unrealistic and got annoyed at everything lol but I do think about picking that one up again, I did like it until that point).

    Death and Daisies sounds really fun, I'm going to add that to my TBR :)

    I hope your headache has gone away now. Have a wonderful week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah yummy, I loved the first Jennifer Ashley book so will be looking forward to this one when it publishes. The Hermitage trip sounds lovely and the planned ones back even better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am loving the pictures :) and Mario Kart is so much fun! We don't have the Switch, but I play some older versions. Unfortunately, I have been banned from playing Mario Kart by my boyfriend :D because I just get too angry when I fail! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the pics of Nashville. We’ve up in NE Tennessee for 9 years now and I still haven’t made it over there. Hopefully soon. Glad you had a great time. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the pictures! Lazy days sound nice. Enjoy all those new books ad have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to go to Nashville so bad it looks so nice.
    Charlie brown Christmas is my favorite. Make sure to take pictures if you go, I would love to see that.

    I love Mario Kart, the Kids and I always play, I am pretty good at it but the switch higher levels are harder than I remember in the older games. :)

    Hope you are feeling better now! Have a great week, Katherine! Happy Reading!
    PS I told my daughter over the summer I plan to pick 3 books and she MUST read them before the end of the summer. Might add a reward in thats a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing your lovely photos. Sounds like you had a lovely and fun time. I need a vacation now. LOL

    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really nice pictures! Thanks for sharing them. I bet you were excited to get that new Jennifer Ashley book - I remember you loved the first one. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wonder if reading along in a book while listening to the audio would make him more interested? Like I'm going to do with my Harry Potter re-reads. There also used to be video games like Blazing Dragons that had a good bit of reading in them. I can't remember what those point and click games are called. I'll have to ask Baz if those are online now. Also, going along with the video game thing. Baz also used to read those video game play helper manuals to his dad while he was playing. Crash Bandicoot was a good one. We borrowed them from the library. 📚

    That hotel is gorgeous! I wouldn't mind spending Christmas there myself. I'll have to put it on my retirement travels list. Have a wonderful week. 🌞

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the pics of the hotel. It's beautiful. You read (and received) many great looking cozies. Enjoy them! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those pics from where you stayed look really pretty! I couldn't help but start Scandal Above Stairs and so far I am liking it.All those books sound really good! Enjoy!

    Have a great week!
    Stormi
    Week in Review

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! That is the Opry hotel? It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nashville sounded wonderful, I passed through there-but that doesn't count since I didn't see much, but the Opry? WOW!! Lucky you!! I want to read Jennifer Ashley, I haven't yet. Have a great week!!

    https://justmeandmyblogreviews.blogspot.com/2018/06/stacking-shelves.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would love to go to Nashville one day and the Charlie Brown display sounds like fun. Your pictures are great. I hope you feel better and the Tornado takes the bribe lol. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved A Man Called Ove but you have to give Ove a chance to grow on you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOVE those pictures amazing. I have to visit Nashville - it's on my bucket list! Glad you enjoyed it. Have a great week!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  23. The hotel looks wonderful!!! Glad you had a fun time at Nashville!

    Here’s my Sunday Post!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've read both of Fredrik Backman's books about Beartown now and I was wondering if A Man Called Ove should be my next one by this author - will be interested to see if you warm to it a little more as time goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've enjoyed the Jennifer Ashley series so I'm hoping to read Scandal Above Stairs (hadn't heard about it before). Looks like you had a fun Nashville trip. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just about anyone who has read Ove says to stick with it. I can say I was tired of the negativity in the beginning of the book but I am so glad I continued. Things are explained and honestly, I teared up a bit at the end.

    Nashville looks like fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What awesome pictures. I've heard so many good things about A Man Called Ove so I hope it picks up for you. I like that Victoria Laurie series but need to catch up on the last few that came out. Hope you have a terrific week!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Scandal Above Stairs looks really interesting! And those photos are gorgeous! I hope you had a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I hope you feel better soon. The photos of Nashville are pretty. I love gardens and old buildings. Have a good week!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I really enjoyed A Man Called Ove but I think it took a bit to get into it. I do want to read the Ashley series very soon. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm listening to A Man Called Ove right now too. I'm enjoying it overall, although my attention did drift a bit early on. Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Death and Daisies sounds like an interesting read. I hope you enjoy all these!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lovely photos. I'm excited for the Ashley one as well :)

    ReplyDelete