Friday, June 22, 2018

Friday Linkups - Lost Lake


It's Friday linkup time!  I'm linking up with the Book Blogger Hop hosted by Coffee Addicted Writer, Book Beginnings of Fridays hosted by Rose City Reader, and the Friday 56 hosted by Freda's Voice

This Week's Book Blogger Hop Question:
For all your worker bees out there how do you balance having a day job/career and managing your blog at night?  Is it hard or easy to do?  What do people in your work life think of your blogs?

My Answer:
I'm a stay at home mom so I don't have the scheduling issues that I would if I worked full time.  I think blogging can take as much time as you let it so regardless of responsibilities I don't think balance would be easy!  I normally set aside a certain amount of time somewhere during the day and get as much done as possible and split the time between writing posts and visiting other blogs.  Blogging isn't really something I talk about very much.  It's not something I'm ashamed of but I kind of like having my own private corner of the world.

This week's book is Lost Lake by Sarah Addison Allen.  I love Sarah Addison Allen's books especially during the summer.  They've got such a lovely touch of magic and the author captures a summer in the South perfectly.  So far this isn't my favorite but I'm still enjoying it.

The Beginning:
The wet night air bounced against the electric streetlamps, giving off tiny sparks like flint.

My Thoughts:
I can just picture this.  She's actually talking about Paris but this reminds of me of the high humidity we're having right now!

The 56:
She recognized the nubby red sofa and cheap landscape paintings, also the incongruously expensive pieces mixed in with them - the Tiffany lamp and the antique oak library table.

My Thoughts:
I love the description.  I can just picture the cheap mixed with the valuable all a mix of colors.

So what do you think?  Keep reading?  Is there an author that you simply must read every summer?


22 comments:

  1. I think that's right- blogging can take as long as we let it. Like even if I had more time- would I still want more lol? I mean there's no shortage of blogs to visit and posts to write! And I don't really advertise my blog to coworkers either- a few know about it but I also like to keep it fairly semi- private.

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree, blogging can take as much time as you have or wish to put into it. And reading other blogs - you can go down the rabbit hole there, right? I don't talk about mine too much either. Really, I don't talk about reading and books too much with family or non-bookish friends. I end up getting some strange looks, which tells me that I probably go on and on and on. And to people who aren't avid readers, that is likely boring. We have one niece who is getting her MLS degree. She and I can talk books endlessly. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, when I started my blog years ago, a close friend called it a "fake blog" and I was pretty devastated. He had a hard time with me talking about abuse, which he doesn't feel actually exists. Of course that didn't stop me from doing my thing. (lol) Most other friends and relatives may know that I blog, but I can't say I really advertise it a lot. I don't have small kids, so it makes it easier to manage the blogging, social media, reading and other activities I'm involved in. Hugs and happy Friday! RO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this book...and now I am reminded that I have more of her books hiding out on Pippa, my Kindle.

    Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “SURPRISE ME”

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book looks great, and I adore that pretty cover!

    Here is mine this week: http://bit.ly/Fri56Tooth

    Have a lovely weekend! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the cover too! This sounds like one I would read, very descriptive.
    We are getting a thunderstorm right now and the humidity here is awful. I could use a story set somewhere else, out of the humid south.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm retired. Finding time to blog isn't an issue. Even so, I tend to blog in bunches pre-scheduling posts a couple of times a month. This week I have a book that has been on TBR mountain way too long - A Rumor of Bones by Beverly Connor. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the descriptive nature to both snippets. It really sets the tone and you can easily picture it. Sounds like a great read! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lost Lake looks like a pretty interesting book. I haven't heard of the author until now, so thanks for mentioning the book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great answer to my BBH question! I sometimes talk about my blog with my close friends, but it's not something I bring up all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a good read and the cover is gorgeous! Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am like you in that I don't really talk about my blog with people in my offline life. Some of my friends, family and coworkers know about it, but, as you said, it's my little corner and I like keeping it to myself (and all of you). I do find it hard, and sometimes impossible, to balance work, family and my blog sometimes, but I do my best and try to be okay with it when I have to let something slide (usually my blog).

    I hope you are enjoying Lost Lake! One of these days, I will give Sarah Addison Allen a try. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Keep reading. I liked this one. But I like all of her books!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great BBH answer! Being a stay at home mom is certainly a job of it's own, but one you can't leave at 5pm! :) Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've always wanted to try books by this author. Her stories always seem so magical. Hope you enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved hearing your thoughts on blogging. Yes, it is something where the amount of time you spend on it is really up to you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The excerpts you shared and the book's cover are very inviting. Sounds like the kind of story you can get happily lost in.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree that blogging takes just as much time as you let it, and it can be easier to do as a SAHM. Hope you have a wonderful weekend. - Katie

    ReplyDelete
  19. I work mostly from home, and only have to go to campus once a month now. It's easy for me to work in large chunks and get all of my work done and emailed in by Thursday night so I have Fridays off for a three day weekend every week, plus right now I'm off work until late September. I try not to do any blogging during weekdays. Only at night and weekends. Honestly I don't know how bloggers who work and have kids do it. 🌞

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would definitely keep reading. This sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes! Blogging can take up just as much time as you let it. It can be really hard to find a good balance. Some weeks I end up doing a lot more than other weeks but that is okay. I did enjoy Lost Lake when I read it but it wasn't my favorite book by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful answer and I completely know what you mean! Depending on how active you plan on your blog being or how extensive you wish to make it, it can definitely take up as much time as you allow it to. I think it's also important to schedule some time to focus on your blogging 'responsibilities', though I don't think it's ever easy to manage a 'blog' with all the things that life can throw at us now and again.

    We need to remember that it's okay to take a breather sometimes! If we're not always up to managing it as 'perfectly' as we can, that's completely fine.

    Feel free to check out my own answer if you wish (and a puppy update!)

    - Charlotte (InkBlottings)

    ReplyDelete