Saturday, August 20, 2022

Mrs. Pollifax and the Hong Kong Buddha - Classic Mystery Review

Goodreads: Mrs. Pollifax and the Hong Kong Buddha (Mrs. Pollifax #7) by Dorothy Gilman

Rating: Really Liked it! (4.5 Stars)
Source:   Library

Description:  Although recently married, Mrs. Pollifax is packed and ready to go to China, where a young agent, Sheng Ti, holds the answers to goings on at the sinister Feng Imports—a one-time agency front. Only Mrs. Pollifax has earned Sheng's trust, and only she can possibly stop what turns out to be a frightening and ominous plot involving drugs, smuggled diamonds, a famous cat burglar turned Interpol agent, a mysterious psychic, and, of course, murder...possibly her own!

Genre: Mystery - Classic/Adventure



My Impression:   I love this series and I love Mrs. Pollifax.  I never want to go to any destination and see her there but if I ever do get in any trouble she is who I would want coming to rescue me!  Here we see Mrs. Pollifax settling into her life as a newly married woman but that doesn't keep her from jumping at the chance to return to China - especially when she finds out that a friend she met last time she was in the country could be in danger.

This book is a bit different than previous books.  Mrs. Pollifax is not immediately thrown into an adventure.  She's sent to try and and figure out what is going on with another agent and that involves more leg work then I'm used to seeing her do.  I really enjoy seeing Mrs. Pollifax really become an agent.  She's still the funny, intelligent, practical woman that she's always been but she has some experience now and uses it.  As well, there are some darker tones to this book.  While it is not graphic there is more violence then I remember showing up in previous books.  

This didn't keep me from enjoying the book and in fact I appreciated the added depth.  As well I really appreciated seeing a couple of characters from previous books.  This is an entertaining story that's a quick read and one I thoroughly enjoyed!

Would I Read More of this Series/Author? Absolutely!  I already have the next book ready to go.

Would I Recommend this Book?  I would!  I do recommend you read the first book just to see how the whole setup started and you have to suspend belief a bit but it's worth it for a fun entertaining story.

6 comments:

  1. What a fun series! It sounds wonderful. Mrs. Pollifax sounds like a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything Mrs. Pollifax!

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! It's still one of my favorite series.

      Delete
  3. Does sound good and Mrs Polifax a very likeable character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my least favorite in the series. It just doesn't feel like it belongs with the rest. Fortunately, the series does recover and is more fun again after this one.

    ReplyDelete