Sunday, August 28, 2022

Life with Leukemia, a Puppy, and Some Reading - August 28


It's Sunday Post time!  This is hosted by the awesome Caffeinated Book Reviewer and gives us all a chance to recap our week.

What I Got:


The Backup Plan by Jill Shalvis - Shalvis is one of my favorite authors and this one sounds like such a fun one.  (Publisher)

Secrets in the Stacks by Lynn Cahoon - The first book in this cozy mystery series is one of my favorites of the year so far so of course I had to pick up this second book.  (Publisher)

All is Bright by RaeAnne Thayne - I love Thayne's Christmas books and it's been a couple of years since I read any of them so I'm really looking forward to this one.  (Publisher)

Snowed in For Christmas by Sarah Morgan- I'm trying to mix in a little more fiction with my mysteries and I've enjoyed books by this author in the past.  (Publisher)

The Raven Thief by Gigi Pandian - While it wasn't a favorite I liked the first book in this mystery series involving a magician and a family whose business is secret staircases and hidden rooms.  I'm hoping this book is a bit stronger than the first book and am looking forward to it.  (Publisher)

Currently:


Reading: 
Steeped to Death by Gretchen Rue and Peach Pies and Alibis by Ellery Adams

Listening:  Crime and Poetry by Amanda Flower

This was a pretty quiet week.  Will's labs looked good and the x-rays that were done on his legs showed slight demineralization in his heels and knees which isn't unusual for long term chemo and steroid intake.  This explains the pain he's been having and because it's so late in treatment it's unlikely that he'll develop any bone density issues.

I've been working with Rover a lot this week and he did great in class the other day.  He'll be 1 in October and I feel like we are starting to see him calm down a little and in certain moments but we've still got a ways to go.  I do really enjoy working with him so that really helps.

I'm still fighting fatigue but I got a prescription for a migraine medicine that is making a huge difference which is making me pretty happy.  I've started to make an effort to go to bed earlier and am hoping that better sleeping hours will help.  Other than that I've been doing some reading and assistant teaching two different dog classes which I'm really enjoying.  I've enjoyed the changes we've made to Will's school curriculum and am looking forward to really getting into a routine.

Have a great week and happy reading! 

21 comments:

  1. Glad you had a mostly quiet week. Here's to a restful week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katherine! I can swear the doggy on the cover for The Backup Plan is some or other scruffy thing like Anna. Just for that, I'll take a look.

    The series of The Raven Thief sounds intriguing, will wait to see your latest review.

    Glad Will is good and I can't believe Rover is almost 1! How time flies. But they are the best.

    Take care of yourself and I hope the new meds will have lasting results.

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a much better week for Will, you and Rover. Glad Will's labs were good and that you were able to get some meds that help with migraines as well. Fatigue affects us in so many ways, I hope more sleep will make for a better week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for a better week. :) And happy almost birthday to Rover!

    I love RaeAnne Thayne's Christmas books too!

    I am sorry to hear you are battling some fatigue. Hopefully you start to feel more you soon. And I am excited to hear more about your homeschool routine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also received The Backup Plan this week and am waiting to hear about All Is Bright. So glad the new meds are helping!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a pretty good week. It's nice to have a quiet time sometimes.

    I've been accepted by Netgalley to read Snowed in for Christmas by Sarah Morgan and am looking forward to reading it!

    Have a good week ahead!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/08/28/sunday-post-46/

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have stayed busy ! I hope your meds help with the migraine. Sending good thoughts to yu and your family xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always nice to hear good news about Will. I'm glad your meds are helping with the migranes.
    I have the The Backup Plan and the Snowed in For Christmas as well. I hope we both enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Backup Plan looks good and I love the cat on the other cover. Glad you and Will are doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you found some medication that is helping! I've only read one book by Jill Shalvis, but I liked it, so I should read more! Hope both you and Will have a good week!
    Lisa Loves Literature

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cahoon's books always look fun. Glad to hear the labs looked good, and here's to another positive week. I hope the fatigue gets better for you too! I can't believe we're almost into September...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have Crime and Poetry on my physical to be read book cart and hope to get to it soon! I hope you are able to get more rest soon! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can they give Will pain medicine? Or, is it hard to manage the pain because he has leukemia and/or he's a kid? I'm glad he shouldn't have bone density issues. I hope you and he both have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad it was a pretty good week. Sleep is important and I'm finding if I go to sleep earlier I do better. I love to stay up and read though. I hope you feel better this next week!

    Anne - Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  15. Honestly Katherine I don't know how you do it all. I guess Rover will be turning into a teenager soon! Dog classes sound wonderful and kind of a time for you to be away from it all. Lots of incoming books, I felt a big ouch this week because I added too much to my NG pile. I am holding you up for some of that since you hooked me in to cozies as a possibility to read.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're keeping busy, juggling quite a lot! And you got quite a haul of books this week - It's hard to find time to keep up with my Netgalley pending reads as their publish dates approach....somehow I got behind AGAIN!
    Sheesh - these blog Sundays are murder on my TBR list! So many books to learn about.
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys
    https://www.bookshelfjourneys.com/post/sunday-post-13

    ReplyDelete
  17. You can't go wrong with a Jill Shalvis book. I have to start the new Lynn Cahoon series. Looks good. I'm glad Will is doing well. I'm glad the migraine medicine is helping you. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I also got the upcoming Shalvis book. I can't wait to read it! I am sorry to hear that Will is having pain. It's good that they don't think it will cause bone density problems later on. It's good that you are working with Rover so much. I was watching our 3 year old lab mix jump all over the place this weekend and think I should have done a bit more. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm sorry Will has been experiencing the pain, but it's good to know that this is normal, and that this won't cause any bone density issues.

    I hope you have a lovely week, Katherine.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm happy to hear you found something to help your migraines. 🙌🙌🙌

    Can they give Will anything for his leg pain? 😐

    I hope you are having a good week. Sorry I'm getting around so late. ☀

    ReplyDelete
  21. Steeped to Death sounds absolutely purrfect!

    I hope that Will’s pain improves! Medication can be so helpful for migraines. I’m happy to hear they’ve been helping.

    Take care and have a good week!

    ReplyDelete