Sunday, August 10, 2014

This Week in Reading - August 10th


Once again I'm linking up with Kimba over at the Caffeinated Book Reviewer for The Sunday Post where we talk about what's happening on and off the blog.

What I Got:

This week I ended up a few more books than I planned on!

The Blood of an Englishman by M.C. Beaton - I've enjoyed the handful of Agatha Raisin books I've read but it's been awhile so I thought I'd give the newest in the series a try.

Hideaway Cove by Anna Sullivan - I've seen good reviews for this book and thought I'd try it as I've been in a contemporary mood lately.

It's in His Kiss by Jill Shalvis - I love Shalvis's Lucky Harbor series

He's So Fine by Jill Shalvis - so I couldn't resist requesting this one

One in a Million by Jill Shalvis - or this one for that matter though it says this is going to be the last one.  I'm glad that she's not going to write the series to death like happens so often but now I have to find a replacement!

Rival's Challenge by Abby Green - I didn't care for the first book in the series but I love the grand hotel in London so much that I decided to give this another try.  It's by a different author so I'm hopeful.

Scene of the Climb by Kate Dyer-Seely - this was sent by the author for review consideration.  It's a cozy featuring a woman who writes for an adventure magazine who may have exaggerated her athletic abilities.  I'm pretty excited about it as it looks like a fun mystery with a dash of humor.

Off the Blog:

We are officially in back to school mode.  Emma and Paul started Tuesday, the Tornado starts Monday and Eleanor heads back to university next weekend.  They've changed the school time for Emma and Paul's school to deal with a busing issue we have here and have changed some of the traffic routes.  Apparently it's total chaos but I don't have to deal with it at all because Emma is driving to school.  I'm so happy about it I can't even begin to describe it!  I love this time of year because it's like New Years day part 2. I reevaluate all my systems and get back on track with everything.  I feel all organized and on top of things until towards the end of November when all the holiday madness hits and things spin out of control again.

My tomatoes have slowed down a bit and I finally learned how to tell the difference between an Armenian cucumber and a regular cucumber so I'm picking everything at their correct size.  I still have zucchini coming out my ears and am running of things to do with it that don't involve baking with it because I've yet to become a fan of zucchini bread.  I'm thinking I'm going to try fritters next.

I'm finally well again!  I have a twinge of cough and some allergy issues but the cold is finally gone!  It's so great to not feel like death warmed over anymore!

On the Blog:

This Week:

A trip to Ireland with Secrets of the Lighthouse
cozy mystery that didn't work for me
My contribution to the pile of vague reviews of We Were Liars
Excerpts for Juliet Blackwell's paranormal home repair cozy series
contemporary romance where the main characters act like logical adults
My list of 20 classics for The Classics Club Spin - can't wait to see what I'll be reading!

Coming Up:

Monday: A foodie memoir that I'm currently LOVING
Tuesday: Top Ten Books I'm Not Sure I Want to Read
a few other book reviews including a really fun cookbook on Saturday.
Plus Friday linkups for whatever book I happen to be reading Friday

Have a great week and happy reading!


35 comments:

  1. I also had a hard time reviewing We Were Liars...so many potential spoilers. Secrets of the Lighthouse looks good! Enjoy your week, and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed Secrets of the Lighthouse. This is an author I definitely want to read more of!

      Delete
  2. Secrets of the Lighthouse and Scene of the Climb looking good to me!

    About the zucchini, would you want a recipe I got from a friend's mother for zucchini appetizers, which we have had at parties, but also with homemade soup or salad for dinner? It isn't fou-fou gourmet, but it's good comfort food. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes zucchini appetizers sound amazing! I had forgotten about soup. Need to try that. I'm pulling 2 or 3 good sized zucchini a day and it's hard to use very much at a time. I think if I put sauteed zucchini for dinner again there might be a mutiny.
      I really like Secrets of the Lighthouse and am excited about Scene of the Climb. I'm in the mood for a good cozy.

      Delete
  3. You did get a lot! They are sooooo tempting.

    YAY for being well again! I have no ideas for the zucchini as I don't eat it. :D Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what happened. I wasn't getting anything and then boom! Bunches!
      Zucchini is a challenge because even with a big family we just can't eat that much. I sautee it most often and that only uses 1 and I get more than that a day. Not eating it is not allowed!

      Delete
  4. We're slowly shifting into that mode too, although school for us is a few weeks off yet. Nice post on Christie, I've read one or two but would like to read more, so I got a few ideas from your list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always like getting back into routines so even though we have a pretty good time during summer I like everyone going back to school.
      Good! I hope you find the Christie list helpful. I love her but all of her books are definitely not created equal!

      Delete
  5. I went outside today and did a real examination of my garden and discovered the pumpkins were growing into the neighbor's yard. I had to pull all the vines back through the fence. I realized I really need to keep an eye on things!! LOL! I am about to check out the We Were Liars review!

    <a href="http://angelasanxiouslife.blogspot.com/2014/08/sunday-post_10.html”>Sunday Post</a>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pumpkins and cucumbers grow lightening fast. It's crazy. Glad you managed to get them back! We Were Liars is definitely worth the read.

      Delete
  6. I enjoy Jill Shalvis, and I am curious about some of your other books. Looking forward to adding to my tbr pile :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shalvis is always a fun read and I've heard some great things about this newest trilogy in the Lucky Harbor series. I'm excited about these!

      Delete
  7. You are right...there is something that is reminiscent of New Year's about the first of school. Wise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just love getting my lists and projects going again!

      Delete
  8. I love Jill Shalvis' books, but I've gotten so behind on them. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how Shalvis breaks her books into trilogies so even if you get behind you don't have to relearn everyone because it's a new cast.

      Delete
  9. I sort of want to check out Jill Shalvis' It's In His Kiss because there's a HR novel by Julia Quinn with the same name, and I loved that one, haha.
    Oh wow, back to school already? I don't go back until September!
    Hope you have an awesome week, glad to hear you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a lot of breaks throughout the year so we start a bit early. They get out towards the middle of May as well. I like Shalvis quite a bit so if your HR mood ever switches towards more contemporary you may want to try her. I'll have to go look up which one In His Kiss is. I'm sure I read it and enjoyed it (it is Quinn after all) but I can't remember whose story it is. Maybe Hyacinth?

      Delete
  10. Yay for being well again! And for school routines which we'll be hitting in 2 weeks. *sigh of relief* Now if I can just convince my daughter to get her license I won't have to drive them to school anymore. :D I have no advice for the zucchini other than to leave anonymous donations on doorsteps during the night. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so lovely. Other than the occasional coughing fit I'm back to normal and it's wonderful. Put the hard sell on! The whole not driving them to school thing is worth every penny of the car and extra insurance.
      I like the anonymous donations idea! I have a feeling I'll be to that point very soon and my family is not super adventurous eaters (aka boring)!

      Delete
  11. I like it when my step-son goes back to school too because we all get back on track. He's only with us part time, but over the summer his part-time is so all over the place and random, as opposed to the school year where I know what days I need to pick him up and get him to school. He doesn't go back for a couple weeks yet though - next week is orientation though. He's a freshman, yikes! I bet you love having her driving, that's a big load off!

    As for the Zucchini - My mom used to make Zucchini Fries and they were so good! She used bread crumbs and egg so that they would be crunchy and sometimes she'd throw in some parmesan and that gave them a fun flavor. She baked them. I'm sure there's got to be some recipes out there for them, but I remember hers being delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have custody challenges as well during the summer and you're so right about it being nice to get back to that normal routine. Paul was supposed to be at his mom's most of the summer but never quite worked that way. I was glad he was here most of the time but I don't like the never knowing feeling.
      Zucchini fries sound fabulous! And it sounds like something my picky family would eat! I'll have to try them.

      Delete
  12. I have tons of recipes for zucchini but unfortunately, they're all in French with French measures :( It's good that you're well again and that november is still far, far away ! Have a great week ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think my high school French would stand up to recipes. I'm excited to be getting back in routine. It's always so nice!

      Delete
  13. looks like you had a good week, I've never heard of those book but I hope you have run reading them and enjoy them :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the Agatha Raisin series, although I have fallen a few books behind. Have a great week and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read a few of the Agatha Raisins but I always enjoyed them when I picked them up so I have high hopes for this one!

      Delete
  15. I'm glad I still have a ways to go before I am done with Lucky Harbor. I do understand the author being read to move on though. :-) Scene of the Climb sounds like it could be a fun read.

    I am so glad that cough is finally gone. Good luck to everyone as school gets underway again.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad and sad about Lucky Harbor. I love the series and how she's set it up so it's not one long continuous series but I've seen too many authors write a good series to death and I definitely don't want that to happen. Scene of the Climb looks really fun. I'm hoping to get to in the next few weeks.

      I'm really enjoying not coughing for hours on end. It's amazing how much you appreciate that!

      Delete
  16. Schools back... gotta be a good thing! Enjoy your new reads!

    Thanx for visiting My Weekly Wrap-Up!
    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely good! We were hitting the end of summer restlessness!

      Delete
  17. Thank you! I'm looking forward to getting more reading done now that I'm back on a schedule.
    So far school is going well. Even the older ones are enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great list of books! I love the cover illustration on The Blood of an Englishman. I have never read the Agatha Raisin mysteries so I will have to check them out. Glad you are feeling better!
    Happy Reading,
    Rebecca @ The Key to the Gate

    ReplyDelete
  19. We are in back to school mode too. My kids started last Wednesday - all good, so far! You've got a nice mix of books there. I've heard wonderful things about Jill Shalvis.

    ReplyDelete