Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Jet Set - Review

Jet Set: The People, The Planes, the Glamour, and the Romance in Aviation's Glory Years by William Stadiem

Rating: 4 Stars
Source: NetGalley

Description:  Stadiem takes us to a time when flying was still special and glamorous but was becoming more and more accessible to the average person.  We meet the people who made the planes, the people who made it seem like an attainable dream and the people who made it work.

Genre: Nonfiction

Why I Picked This Book:  I have an aunt who was a stewardess during this time and I've always thought the picture of her in her stewardess uniform was so glamorous looking.  I jumped at the chance to find out more about it.
My Impression:
Pros:  This book contains A LOT of information.  We get an in-depth look of how society became celebrity with gossip columns, the war between the airlines and a look at the men behind it, the people who made them fly, the people who made passengers comfortable and everything in between.  This is a "Did you know?" kind of book.  While I was reading this I was constantly bringing up odd little facts at dinner.  "Did you know Oleg Cassini's brother was a famous gossip columnist?"  "Did you know that when Boeing was broken up due to anti-trust laws that William Boeing got mad and spent the rest of his life raising thoroughbreds?"  If you're wondering my husband's answers were - "Who is Oleg Cassini?" and "Yes".  Unlike some "Did you know?" books the information in this book didn't feel like a massive overload of information.  It read like a story with information being easily retained.  While some chapters read a little easier even the more technical chapters were very clear.  I thought the pictures in the book were well used.  Just as soon as I thought "I wonder what this person looks like?" I'd turn the page and there was a picture.  It was fun to see how flying went from a thing that was so special you dressed up for to a thing that was so ordinary you're lucky if your fellow passengers aren't in their pajamas.

Cons:  Because of the wide variety of information the book contained, it felt a little disjointed.  Each chapter felt almost like a novella and it took me a few pages to get caught up in each one.

Overall:  I found this fascinating and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I also found this worked very well as an e-book which isn't always the case with non-fiction.  The pictures were clear and spaced sporadically throughout the book.  If you're the slightest bit interested in the topic it's definitely worth picking up!

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?: Definitely!  I'll keep a lookout for Stadiem's other books.

Would I Recommend this Book?:  This is a great book about the early days of commercial flight.  If you're at all interested it's definitely worth reading.

14 comments:

  1. Interesting choice. Thanks for the great review. Chronicles

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a flight attendant friend who will enjoy this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to read about flying... I don't fly. Sigh.. I used to fly and then well it's awful for me so I prefer to just drive around the country. The only downfall is that I won't be able to go overseas. Such a bummer. I have an aunt who is a flight attendant for Southwest airlines and she just loves it. It was a career she got late in life too. It is nice that this worked as an ebook. Half the time I can't stand reading books with pictures in ebook format.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could still go by boat the old fashioned way. Granted it would take a LOT of vacation time. I found this really interesting and it's one of the few non fiction books that I liked in ebook form. The pictures were black and white and actually seemed to work in this one.

      Delete
  4. To me this is the perfect coffee table/ bedside guest room book. Where you are or a guest can skim through and pick up tidbits of information. I would enjoy this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be good for that and definitely a great guest room book. It's definitely a fascinating read!

      Delete
  5. I'm interested in this book and learning more. It's fun to see how flying, airlines, airports and flight attendants have changed since the '60s, which I remember, and the sexy stewardesses, who said Fly Me! Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found this very readable especially for the amount of information it contained. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  6. I'm a huge nonfiction reader, and I think I would love this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely give this a try Ryan. I really enjoyed it.

      Delete
  7. I think I'd enjoy this one too. I ♥ vintage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd enjoy this one. I thought the author did a good job of keeping it readable even in the more technical chapters.

      Delete