Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Suddenly Last Summer - Review

Suddenly Last Summer by Sarah Morgan

Rating: 4 Stars
Source: NetGalley

Description:  In this second book about the O'Neill brothers Morgan takes us back Snow Crystal to spend some time with Elise Phillipe and Sean O'Neil.  Ever since their one night stand the summer before Sean and Elise have had a hard time hiding their attraction to each other. Since Sean doesn't come home to Snow Crystal very often it generally isn't a problem.  That is until family patriarch Walter has a heart attack and Sean ends up staying longer than anticipated to heal old wounds and maybe build a future.

Genre: Romance
Why I Picked This Book: I've heard fantastic things about Sarah Morgan and I love books involving chefs.  After I read the first in the series (review) I'm glad I requested this ahead of time.
My Impression: 
Pro:  Once again Morgan gives us 2 very developed characters with Sean and Elise.  They both have back stories that make their phobias about relationships makes sense.  The attraction was evident but they also really liked and respected each other as well.  I liked that they both seemed to need each other even thought that was the last thing they wanted.  It was lovely to revisit Snow Crystal and see the changes to the resort as well as check in with Kayla and Jackson from the previous book.  Once again, the character development seemed very natural and authentic.  I liked that for Sean  there was no big giant a-ha moment it was more like a slow thawing.  Elise was much more dramatic but it fit her character as well.  All the descriptions of food made my mouth water.  If it was a real place Elise's restaurant would be in my top ten places to visit list!

Con:  It was a bit predictable.  Since it was a delightful contemporary this didn't really bother me but I could guess what was going to happen well in advance.

Overall:  This is definitely a fun follow up to Sleigh Bells in the snow.  I really enjoyed that these were people with a bit of history.  This can be read as a stand alone but it'd be better read after Sleigh Bells in the Snow.  Plus is you miss Sleigh Bells in the Snow you'd be missing a great book.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?: Looking forward to #3!

Would I Recommend this Book?:  Definitely!  If you enjoy contemporary romance don't miss this series.

12 comments:

  1. It sounds like the characters' evolution, particularly Sean's, is realistically portrayed. I like the sound of this one and will add it to my wish list. Just need to make a note to read it after Sleigh Bells in the Snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely read Sleigh Bells first. While this could be read alone you'd definitely miss a lot of the back story. I did really like Sean and his evolution. Definitely a fun read!

      Delete
  2. I have this one on my kindle just waiting to be read. Like you, I enjoyed the first one, too! I have a thing about reading series in order - that's how authors write them, so why not read them that way! Plus, the character development make way more sense!!! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This was a really fun read. I agree about reading a series in order. Reviewing messes with that sometimes but if let to my own devices it makes me itch to go out of order - the only exception being Shalvis' Lucky Harbor series but because that's a collection of trilogies but even then you need to read the trilogies in order. This one is definitely a series you need to read in order. Without Sleigh Bells you miss SO much back story!

      Delete
  3. Good review, Katherine! I like the sound of these main characters, and I'm all in favor of mutual liking and respect. I haven't read any of Sarah Morgan, but between this one and Sleigh Bells in the Snow, I'm beginning to think I should give her a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read a few lately where one character obviously had zero respect for the other character and it made it impossible to believe in an HEA. I've been really pleased with the 2 Morgans I've tried. There's some humor but there's also past issues that need to be resolved. I think you'd like this series Lark!

      Delete
  4. I can handle predictable in this type of read, after all we know from the get go we will get our HEA..or heads will roll! LOL I am glad you enjoyed this, I really liked the little side stories in this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The predictable didn't really bother me either because yeah if I don't get my HEA it's not going to be a good day! I really enjoyed this one and I'm glad you told me to read Sleigh Bells first because I was all set to read it out of order. Looking forward to the next one!

      Delete
  5. I keep hearing excellent things about Morgan's books. I really need to try them and like Lark I can handle a little predictability, especially if the story is well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel exactly the same way about predictability. Plus with a romance we kind of know what direction the story is going in! It's definitely worth a read Bea!

      Delete
  6. I want to read these! I have been wanting to branch out more into contemporary romances but in that gap between too sweet and too sexy, if possible :) I will add this author to my list now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about the gap and I think this might fit. It's got a little bit of spice but not so much that I feel like that's all that's going on. I've had mixed results with contemps but so far this series hasn't let me down. You may also want to try Donna Kauffman's Blueberry Cover series. I read the 2nd one and while there were some flaws it ended up being a really enjoyable book and the setting is a small Maine fishing village.

      Delete