Thursday, August 14, 2014

Agatha Christie Challenge - Non-Series Books 1960s

We're into Agatha's 4th decade of writing and the tone of the non-series books has changed a bit.  We no longer have the adventure stories with beautiful girls filled with common sense or the English country house murder mysteries.  Instead we have intricately plotted mysteries that explore good versus evil. The novels are primarily build up with the actual murder investigation occurring in the last fourth of the book.  While the mysteries (or at least the first two) are extremely unique and cleverly done Agatha relies more on coincidence than she has in the past and there is some muddling of details that you won't find in her earlier books.

The Pale Horse (1962)
People are dying and the only thing they have in common is that there names were on a list found on the body of a murdered priest.  For the first time without Poirot we have the wonderful mystery writer Adriadne Oliver.  She's an almost autobiographical character for Agatha and lots of fun to read.  The primary detective is a writer named Mark Easterbrook who becomes involved after witnessing a fight between two women in a Chelsea coffee house and later hearing that one of the women is now dead.  The book centers around if it is possible to will someone to death and is very well done.  The jump Mark makes to get to the old pub The Pale Horse is kind of unclear and relies heavily on coincidence.  Once we get there it's a fantastic puzzle.  Ginger is a wonderful character and steals the book from the quieter more thoughtful Mike.  4 Stars

Endless Night (1967)
They say Gypsy's Acre has a curse but young Michael Rogers and his new wife Ellie don't believe it when they purchase the land and build their dream house.  They don't believe it when rocks are thrown through the window and when the local gypsy warns Ellie to leave.  However, when Ellie is found dead after a riding accident Michael starts to wonder if there could be truth in the curse idea after all.  I've read this book several times and know the twist but each time I read it it surprises me.  According to her husband this was one of Agatha's favorites and it's clear as to why.   4 Stars


Passenger to Frankfurt (1970)
I'd love to tell you what this one is about but to be honest I'm not really sure.  Sir Stafford Nye is a low level man at the state department who started his career on the fast track but then his sense of humor kept causing self-sabotage.  It starts out with Stafford Nye getting stuck at an airport and a woman who resembles him asking for his help by allowing her to drug him and then stealing his cloak and passport.  After that I can't tell you much.  There's lots of political intrigue and a huge quantity of characters and somehow Stafford's great-aunt gets involved.  There's a lot of adjectives and rambling descriptions.  There's some conspiracies and Nazi tie-ins and a few other things.  It's all crammed in to 200 pages and I spent most of that forcing myself to read them when I really wanted to just skim over them.  Of all Agatha's 80+ mysteries this is the one I would recommend the least.  Really the only reason I finished it was because I'm trying to read all her books.  1 Star

16 comments:

  1. You may just make a Christie convert of me yet! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are gobbling these up Katherine. When I discovered her as a teen I read every book I could find all summer that year. I was not a fan of the Passenger either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're quick reads and they're short as well so that helps. Passenger is just bad. I think if I read this and Postern of Fate back to back I'd vow to never read another Christie!

      Delete
  3. I am loving your examination of her books and her writing style. This is an excellent series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! I really enjoy her books and am looking forward to starting over with Poirot!

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you are sharing your Christie reading experience with us. I find it interesting to see how her writing has changed over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've been enjoying the reread. It's definitely interesting to me how much her writing changes through the year. You can get a feel for what the fiction trends were at the time period.

      Delete
  5. I should go back and read Christie books again. I'm sure I haven't read all of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should! I know there's details that I pick up in rereads that I missed the first or second time around.

      Delete
  6. Agatha Christie's books saved me from terminal boredom many years ago when I was spending a summer in the still-Communist Prague, when I didn't even speak any Czech. I think this is a great idea, reviewing her books, and nice to know that even the great mystery writers occasionally create a loser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She had a few that were bombs - Postern of Fate was the last full length novel she wrote and I was seriously confused through the majority of that one as well. I'm enjoying rereading her books. Glad she kept you entertained! She definitely provided a good number of books.

      Delete
  7. I still have not read any Agatha Christie, though I've seen movies based on her books. But I will have to remember to skip Passenger to Frankfurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely skip it! She's got 84 other books so you still have choices!

      Delete
  8. Her spy novela., other than the Tommy & Tuppence books, are not my favorite. The Big Four is one of the worst for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree that the spy stuff doesn't do much for me either. I much prefer the adventure stories or the classic mysteries. I haven't read The Big Four in awhile though it's coming up. I do remember that it wasn't a favorite. The David Suchet version came a couple of weeks ago and I'm looking forward to watching it.

      Delete