Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday - Books I Want to Read but Don't Own

It's Tuesday and who doesn't like a top ten list?  I'm linking up with The Broke and the Bookish and today's topic is Top Ten Books I Want to Read but Don't Own Yet.

1.  Bran New Death by Victoria Hamilton - this cozy series has been on my radar since it came out but it was the release of the 2nd one that really got me wanting to read the series.  However, before I can read that one I need to read this one!

2.  A Duty to the Dead by Charles Todd - this is another series that has been on my radar for awhile.  I love books set in the period between the wars as well as books set in England.  The premise itself sounds interesting!

3.  Hollow City by Ransom Riggs - I enjoyed Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and I'm curious to see where the story goes.

4.  Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan - It's a book about a 24 hour book store.  It's been on my wishlist for ages but I've never picked it up.

5.  Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh - I've followed this blog on and off for awhile after reading a story where she re-enacted a Christmas play with relatives which made me laugh so hard I teared up.  I'd like to give the full length book a try though I know she covers some very serious issues.

6.  A Cornish Affair by Liz Fenwick - I first saw this book on NetGalley but it was only available to readers in the UK.  I've been wanting to read it ever since!

7.  Mallowan's Memoirs: Agatha and the Archaeologist by Max Mallowan - This is a book by Agatha's beloved 2nd husband a man who was a renowned archaeologist and generally considered a thoroughly nice man.  I'd like to read his side of things since I've read Agatha's POV so many times.



8. Tempest in a Teapot by Amanda Cooper - It's a cozy about teapots!  I want to read it!

9.  Paris Without End: The True Story of Hemingway's First Wife by Gioia Diliberto - I discovered this book shortly after The Paris Wife came out and I've been dying to read it ever since.

10.  The Sweet Life in Paris: Delicious Adventures in the World's Most Glorious - and Perplexing - City by David Lebovitz - I really enjoyed the litte stories that were before every recipe in Lebovitz's My Paris Kitchen so I've been wanting to track down this book,

28 comments:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed Mr.Penumbra's. Perfect book for a book lover/nerd. I think you'd really like it as well. :)
    Hyperbole and a Half was pretty good. There was a lot of funny parts. I've yet to check out her website. I need to get on that.
    I own Hollow City because I got sent it for review. But I've yet to read Miss Peregrine's. I've tried a few times. But it hasn't grabbed my attention. I really need to push through the first quarter and just read it. :P
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed Mr. Penumbra's and Hyperbole and a Half! I'm looking forward to reading them! Miss Peregrine took some getting into if I remember correctly but once I did I enjoyed it.

      Delete
  2. #10 is on my nightstand right now, but I haven't read any of the others. Hope a few of them come your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they will eventually. The real question will be if I actually read them once I get them!

      Delete
  3. I've heard a lot about the Penumbra book. It's on my wish list. I also have the Todd books on my radar, they do look interesting. I'm less sure about the cozies on your list; they are lower on my list but I am interested. I'm not familiar with the rest of your books but they do sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really curious about the Todd book. I've had mixed results with the mysteries set in that time period so I'm hoping this will be a good series.

      Delete
  4. Hyperbole and a Half was hilarious Katherine, I absolutely loved it. It was one of those books that will have you laughing the whole way through :)
    Here's my Top 10 post
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so glad to hear you say that! I'll definitely have to get this soon. I have an amazon gift card and this might be a good thing to use it on!

      Delete
  5. OMG you really need to read your #4, really well done and very enjoyable, with a cool mix of things old and new as for books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely have to get this one! My library has it in Kindle form but for some reason I just haven't gotten around to getting it.

      Delete
  6. I haven't read any of these yet, but Mr. Penumbra and Tempest in a Teapot sound promising to me. Thanks for sharing your list and your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen great things about both. Hopefully I'll get to some of these eventually!

      Delete
  7. I've enjoyed one book by Charles Todd and keep meaning to read more. And my husband's been trying to get me to read Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh for awhile now. I just saw his copy sitting on my TBR shelf, as a matter of fact.

    Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan is in my TBR pile. I got a copy for Christmas and still haven't read it. :-S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the Todd you read. He's one of those authors that I see everywhere but I don't think I've read any reviews for it. Hope you enjoy Hyperbole and Mr. Penumbra. I'm going to have to track those 2 down soon!

      Delete
  8. I think this is a fabulous topic! I didn't participate this week, but I've been enjoying seeing what everyone picked. Mr. Penumbra's... is on my tbr. Thanks for stopping by!

    Tressa @ Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have easily turned this top 10 into a top 100. I'm dying to read Mr. Penumbra's! I had kind of pushed it down the list because there were so many other books but now I'm impatient to get to it!

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed Bran New Death very much. I, also, want to read Tempest in a Teapot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really hoping to get Bran New Death soon! Tempest in a Teapot looks great too and the reviews have all been really positive!

      Delete
  10. I bought Hollow City on release day, and yeah..still in my tbr pile..LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Definitely sounds like something I would do.

      Delete
  11. I enjoyed reading your list, I have Mr Penumbra on my tbr pile too and still hope to try it one day. I love the series title 'merry muffin mystery' on that cozy title! I have a Liz Fenwick novel to read too. Must get around to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a hard time finding Liz Fenwick n the states but I"m hoping to try out one of her books at some point. Mr Penumbra is pretty high on my list and I'm definitely looking forward to the muffin cozy. That may just be that since fall is on it's way I'm starting to crave muffins!

      Delete
  12. I really want The Sweet Life in Paris too. Aw, heck, I just want all Paris books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling! Most of the time if I see Paris in the blurb the book is going on my TBR!

      Delete
  13. I've heard a lot of good things about Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore and it's definitely on my radar too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really going to have to read Mr. Penumbra's soon! It's been on my TBR for far too long!

      Delete
  14. I see a couple here that I want to read. I've had my eye on Mr. Penumbra's for a while but haven't picked it up yet. And Hyperbole and a Half as well- I was thinking of that one too after seeing some of her blog posts.

    Bran New Death looks good too, or maybe I just like the cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cozy covers involving food always get me! I'm hoping to get Mr. Penumbra and Hyperbole and a Half soon. They've been on my wishlist for awhile but for some reason I never made the effort to get them.

      Delete