Monday, August 4, 2014

Secrets of the Lighthouse - Review


Secrets of the Lighthouse by Santa Montefiore

Rating: 4 Stars
Source: NetGalley
Description:  
33 year old Ellen Trawton has had enough of her London life under her mother's thumb and decides to run away to the one place no one will look for her.  The small town in Ireland where her mother grew up but never talks about.  There she discovers a family she didn't know she had, secrets about her mother and herself she didn't know existed and maybe just maybe love.

Genre: Fiction

Why I Picked This Book:  It involves Ireland, the ruins of a lighthouse, and a woman trying to figure out her past.  How could resist?

My Impression:
Pros:  this is a full book.  There's a full cast of characters, multiple generations of secrets and at least 2 different romances going on.  It could have felt very cluttered and busy but instead the story just evolves very naturally.  We get to know the characters and the secrets as Ellen learns about them so it feels very organic.  I also liked that while Ellen realizes quickly that this is where she wants to be it isn't all unicorns and cotton candy.   Ellen loves her newfound family but never of them are a little intimidating.  Her Aunt Peg has a wonderful collection of pets but also a sad backstory.  There is anger and resentment about Ellen's mother never coming back.  As well there is the tragedy and gossip surrounding the wealthy widow Connor and his deceased wife Caitlin.  The dark undercurrent never overpowers the book but does give it a slight melancholy air.

Cons:  I got a bit tired of Caitlin.  There was a little dragging towards the end of the book where a lot of it was from her point of view.  I liked that she wasn't sugary sweet but I definitely could have seen less of her and more of Ellen.  Things took a philosophical note toward the end which I also could have done without.

Overall:  I thoroughly enjoyed this trip to Ireland with Ellen and the Byrne family.  I'm looking forward to reading more from this author.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?: Definitely!  I'm looking forward to reading some of her earlier books.

Would I Recommend this Book?: Yes definitely!  

18 comments:

  1. I can see why you liked this one! It does sound good, and I'm glad the story develops naturally and that you liked the characters (even if Caitlin grew on your nerves).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did enjoy this one. It was really an enjoyable read!

      Delete
  2. I'm in-- you convinced me to look for it :) I love books set in Ireland and this one sounds so good to me. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely love Irish books and this really felt like Ireland. The little bit of sadness in it just felt right.

      Delete
  3. Ooo the setting alone has me wanting to read this, and I like that it deals with several characters. Too bad Caitlin was a page hog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely could have used less Caitlin but this was definitely worth the read!

      Delete
  4. I do love anything with Ireland! I like that things happened naturally and that it all worked well. It sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a sucker for anything Irish and this was definitely an enjoyable read!

      Delete
  5. I love books that are set in Scotland, but I like Ireland, too! I'm glad you enjoyed reading this book. The characters sound very interesting. Lovely review. =D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this setting - I can definitely see why you picked it up. I think I'm a bit confused, though. You said the last portion is told from the POV of Caitlin, but I thought she was the dead wife. Does this have some paranormal woo woo or is it like a flashback? Other than that uncertainty, it does sound interesting. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops! This is what happens when you write reviews the night before posting. Yes Caitlin is a ghost and not a particularly happy one.

      Delete
    2. Ah ha! Very cool, I love elements like that! Thanks :)

      Delete
  7. Not sure it's for me but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well they all can't be for everyone! If you know someone who loves books set in Ireland keep this one in mind!

      Delete
  8. A lighthouse and Ireland would catch my eye, too. Glad you liked this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed this one. Lots of Irish atmosphere.

      Delete
  9. I got this from NetGalley for the same reasons! Ireland & Lighthouses...♥

    I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Hoping to read it in the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete