Thursday, August 7, 2014

We Were Liars - Review

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

Rating: 4 Stars

Source: Library
Description:  Meet the Sinclairs - a Kennedy-esque family.  They're tall, blond, successful and wealthy.  Every summer is a paradise spent on their private island.  Until the summer that Cadence is 15.  2 years later she's still trying to sort out the events of that summer.

Genre: YA
Why I Picked This Book: With all the hype and vague reviews around this book how could I not?  I liked that people seemed to have mixed feelings about this one.  While most of the reviews I saw were positive a number were either kind of eh about it or didn't care for it.

My Impression:  Almost all the reviews I've read for this book have been very vague and not really said much about the actual book.  This is going to be another one of those.  I think you're either going to like this book or you're not but either way you need to know as little about the plot as possible. This is a book strictly driven by the story unfolding and not really by characters themselves.  The book itself is told completely through the eyes of 17 year old Cadence, the oldest Sinclair grandchild, as she tries to piece together what happened during the summer she was 15 and everything changed.  Because of this we get only her point of view which can be unreliable and like most first person POVs makes the other characters somewhat one dimensional.  In this book I felt that this worked as it's the plot itself that drives the story.  Unlike a number of reviewers I felt some sympathy for Cady's mother and the aunts.  Yes, they're privileged rich people but their entire way of life is basically out of their control and easily manipulated by their father.  While I didn't like them I could understand their fear.

This was a quick read with short chapters.  I'm not a hundred percent sure how I feel about it but it was different than any book I've ever read.  It may not be one I reread but it will definitely be one that I think about for awhile.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?: I'm not running out to buy up every Lockhart book I can find but I'll definitely be looking for other books by her to try.

Would I Recommend this Book?:  Yes, mostly because I want to talk to other people who have read it!  Expect a quick read but not light and fluffy.

30 comments:

  1. That is not a helpful review. Do I need to put it on hold again or not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes put it on hold again. It's a short read and I want to see what you think about it. Then let's see you write a review without giving anything away! :)

      Delete
  2. This one was fun. I'm glad I read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been curious about this one, in part because of the mixed reviews about it and the vagueness in describing what the book is about--makes me more curious! I want on the inside too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read it! I read it in an evening and that was with the Tornado running around asking questions and stuff. Join us on the inside!

      Delete
  4. This sounds interesting. I, too, have seen the book around and the vague reviews and wondered about it. Hard to write a review like this, but I think you did a good job, Katherine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely glad I read it. It's such a quick read that if you're the slightest bit interested you should definitely pick it up!

      Delete
  5. This sounds really good. I'll have to add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good. It's definitely different than a good mystery but I really enjoyed it.

      Delete
  6. I loved this one! My first impulse upon finishing was to go back to the beginning and read it again. Too many books lined up, so I couldn't... but I will reread it eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I finished it I had the same impulse! I don't really see myself rereading it now but I can see why you would want to. There was definitely a wow factor.

      Delete
  7. I bought this one after hearing so much about it (without hearing much about it all really if you see what I mean, as evidently it's hard to review without giving anything away) and I think I might start reading it tonight. I am intrigued about what happens. Thanks for reviewing it and reminding me to get started with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes read it! It's a quick read and definitely worth taking the time. Hope you love it!

      Delete
  8. Hi Katherine,

    Goodreads has done an amazing job of writing a synopsis which gives nothing away, but which hooks you in to want to know more.

    The book has received an astounding amount of ratings and reviews (nearly 7,500) and on the whole most have been very postive, which the author must be very proud of!

    I have to admit, that after checking out some of Emily's other books, I don't think that hers is a style of writing I would enjoy particularly, so I shall pass on adding this one to my own list.

    Thanks for an honest take on the story,

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I haven't read any of her other books so I don't know how the writing style compares. It is a quick enough read that if you change your mind you won't be investing too much time.

      Delete
  9. I have this on my kindle, but wasn't sure if I wanted to read it or not. So many mixed reviews, so little details. I will reserve judgement for now and pass, but thanks for sharing this honest review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has definitely been an interesting one to watch the reviews. They've definitely been all over the map. The good thing with this book is that when you do pick it up it's such a quick read so you're not investing much time in it if you don't like it so it's almost risk free.

      Delete
  10. I actually hadn't heard much about this book, but your review has me very curious! If it's one you'll think about for a while after finishing, then it was a worthwhile read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a certain one dimension-ness due to the POV that fell flat for some reviewers but for me it worked. It's definitely worth reading,

      Delete
  11. This book was hard to review, with all the potential spoiler landmines in it; you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This was one that felt like any detail could be a spoiler!

      Delete
  12. I was actually sent this and I am glad to hear you enjoyed it, even if you are still unsure. I hope to get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be very interested to see what you think of it. It's a quick read so it's a good filler when you're not feeling like you have the longest attention span.

      Delete
  13. I don't think I've heard of this one. I'm intrigued though and may see if my library has it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be curious to see what you think of this one Bea. I'm not a big YA reader but this worked for me.

      Delete
  14. Dang it! I got this book awhile back and NEED to read it. Everyone seems to like it, and I want to know why all the vagueness! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes read it! It's a quick read so it won't take you long and then you can join in with all the vagueness!

      Delete
  15. I've just finished it, and I feel similar to your comment about not being hundred percent sure how to feel about it! I think I need to let it sink in a bit and then think about it again. Certainly agree a very difficult book to review though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I think I just sat there for several minutes after I finished it a little open-mouthed. I can see why people didn't like it or were underwhelmed but at the same time I can see why people were blown away by it. I'll be interested to see what you decide about it :)

      Delete