Saturday, August 9, 2014
The Classics Club: Spin #7
I've been meaning to read more classics but somehow they just never find their way into my reading stack. I was thrilled when I saw a post from the Classics expert JoAnn over at Lakeside Musings posted about The Classics Club Spin hosted by The Classics Club. The rules are pretty simple.
Make a list of 20 books by August 11th. That morning a random number will be posted and that book will be the one you read by October 6th. Try and challenge yourself to mix in some books that you're dreading or hesitant about.
This time around I'm focusing on children's books that I somehow missed when I was an actual child with a few others thrown in.
1. Little Women - Louisa May Alcott
2. Eight Cousins - Louisa May Alcott
3. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl
4. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
5. Back of the North Wind - George MacDonald
6. Wizard of Oz - L. Frank Baum
7. The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
8. The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins
9. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
10. Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen
11. Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson
12. The Borrowers - Mary Norton
13. The Westing Game - Ellen Raskin (technically a reread but it's been at least 20 years since I've read it and it's by daughter's favorite book)
14. The Jungle Book - Rudyard Kipling
15. The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Graham
The Tough Ones:
16. Mary Poppins Comes Back by P.L. Travers - didn't love the first one but don't feel like I should give up on it yet
17. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens - also technically a reread but I read it in 9th grade so I'm not sure it counts.
18. Animal Farm by George Orwell - I know this is supposed to be an easy read but I've never really wanted to pick this one up.
19. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
20. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith- I've always been hesitant to read this one for some reason.