Saturday, October 15, 2022

Shattered Silk - Keeper Shelf Review

Goodreads:  Shattered Silk by Barbara Michaels

Rating: Loved It! (5 Stars)
Source:   Purchased

Description: A Killer Lurks In her quaint vintage clothing boutique in picturesque Georgetown, Karen Nevitt' s laces and white linens seem so innocent. Her aunt' s aged friends have even ransacked their attics to help the novice entrepreneur launch her business. The dresses they produce are exquisite--valuable designer originals from decades past--but unwittingly Karen has discovered something far more lethal than fashion trends. Concealed by the delicate fabrics is the hidden clue to a forgotten mystery, and someone is willing to kill to keep it that way.

Genre:  Mystery - Romantic Suspense

Why I Picked This Book:  I'm reading through all the books on my keeper shelf to see if they still deserve their place.

My Impression:  I love this book!  If you asked me what is my favorite Barbara Michaels book is this would be either first or second (the other favorite is coming up in a few books and I can't wait!).  I adore vintage clothes and history and this book has both with an intriguing mystery, hidden agendas, and likable characters.  

At the beginning of the book Karen is pretty much at her lowest point.  Newly separated from her dismissive jerk of a husband she feels frumpy, unattractive and unwanted.  She just wants to hide from everything and everyone.  As the book goes on, Karen finds her voice, her purpose and her passion as well as making new friends and renewing relationships with old friends.  And I haven't even mentioned the clothes yet!  The clothes are amazing - especially Mrs. Mac's dresses.  My only complaint about this book is that there aren't illustrations or photographs of the dresses that are mentioned.  Granted, this is a fictional story but a lot of the clothing and designers mentioned are not and you can go down quite the rabbit hole looking up all the designers mentioned.  

This is a delightful bit of escapism with an entertaining plot and main characters you can't help but like.  If you've read Michaels' previous book, Ammie, Come Home, then many of the characters will be old friends that you will be excited to see again.  If you haven't read it yet no worries!  You'll enjoy meeting them and will probably want to go back and read the earlier book.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author? Of course!  I absolutely love her books and this was a delightful treat of a read.

Would I Recommend this Book?  Definitely!  If you need a bit of escape then this is a perfect read!

4 comments:

  1. I used to read a some books by Barbara Michaels, but it's been a while. Looks like I should go back and read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, high praise, I really think I need to look into this one and the previous one you mention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... your enthusiasm has me adding this to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my favorite Barbara Michaels' books, too! I love the whole vintage clothing thing in it. :D

    ReplyDelete