Saturday, November 27, 2021

At Bertram's Hotel - Classic Mystery Review

Goodreads: At Bertram's Hotel By Agatha Christie

Rating: Liked It
Source:   Purchased

Description:  This old-fashioned London hotel may not be quite as reputable as it makes out!

When Miss Marple comes up from the country for a holiday in London, she finds what she's looking for at Bertram's: traditional décor and impeccable service. But she senses an unmistakable atmosphere of danger behind the highly polished veneer. Not even Miss Marple can foresee the violent chain of events set in motion when an eccentric hotel guest makes his way to the airport one day late!

Genre: Mystery - Classic


My Impression: This is probably my least favorite Miss Marple.  It's not a bad book but it's clear that Christie is experimenting a bit and I'm not sure it's one of her most successful experiments.  As well Miss Marple's role is basically a side character.  While she does have a lot of page time she doesn't really do anything except report support some observations to the Chief Inspector.

I'm not going to go too much into what the book is about as this is a mystery where the less you know the better.  I did really enjoy the descriptions of the hotel though it does have wondering what "real" muffins are as they are very clear it is not what Americans consider muffins.  I did really like Chief Inspector Davey's and his ability to recognize and appreciate Miss Marple for her observation powers as well as masquerade as a bumbling harmless old man when he is most definitely not.  

This was an interesting read though a bit convoluted and while I didn't love it I did enjoy the reading experience and am very much looking forward to the next Miss Marple.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author? Of course!  I can't wait to pick up the next Miss Marple book.

Would I Recommend this Book? If you have read a number of the Miss Marple books then I would but this wouldn't be the Miss Marple book I'd recommend starting with.  

6 comments:

  1. I love those covers so much. Even though I'm terrible at reading Christie I love some of the covers on those books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great cover. I think I mentioned this before but, for whatever reason I never had much luck with A.C. I do have one more on my Kindle to try - The ABC Murders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this one on audio.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a Miss Marple fan even if it wasn't what you usually get about her at least it had some positives. I am not sure what an English muffin is either. But possibly they are kind of flat and not sweet things. But its my guess only!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good one. Love the cover, too!

    ReplyDelete