Friday, May 15, 2020

Friday Fives - Middle Grade Books I Wish I Had


I'm taking a bit of a break from my usual Friday Linkups to try something a little different.  Michelle over at Because Reading is Better Than Real Life   used to do a Five on Fridays that I always enjoyed and I've seen a few other variations on the theme.  As well I'm in a list making kind of mood so I thought I'd give start making random five lists.  Sometimes they'll be bookish other weeks not so much. I'm also going to start linking up with Kathryn over at Book Date for her Connect Five.  A couple of weeks ago I talked about middle grade books I would be reading aloud to my 10 year old that come out of books we already have at home.  Today I'm looking at books I would have picked up at the library if I had known it was going to close for the foreseeable future.


1.  Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George - This is one of my absolute favorite Middle Grade series and I think would be fabulous as a read aloud.


2.  Chitty Chitty Bang Ban by Ian Fleming - Basically same as above!


3. Greenglass House by Kate Milford - This is probably better for around Christmas or at least winter time.  There's some slightly spooky atmosphere, suspicious characters, and secrets.  I'm curious to see if my 10 year old would like it.


4.  A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle - I was shocked to discover I don't actually don't own a copy of this book but that needs to be fixed.  Since this is definitely on the fantasy side I'm not sure what my 10 year old would think but I'm really curious to see plus I think it would be a good book vs movie discussion.


5.  The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Kingsbury - I somehow have never read this but think it sounds fun and like it would be a good read aloud.

What are some of your favorite middle grade books?

11 comments:

  1. Wrinkle in Time was one of my first favorite books. I couldn't stop talking about it and I couldn't help reading it again and again.

    I've just learned about the Tuesdays at the Castle book. I'm on a waiting list at Overdrive for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you'll like The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. Read that with my daughter years and years ago. I ought to read it again....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I **LOVE** A Wrinkle in Time. I own a print copy, and maybe a digital one too. I've never read Chitty Chitty Bang Bang but I remember liking the movie. Neat topic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually never read A Wrinkle In Time. I need to remedy this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. On the kids side of things, I loved some of Roald Dahl's books and Walter Farley's Black Stallion books. I read a ton of Enid Blyton books but they aren't exactly PC for the modern world!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did enjoy the Mixed Up Files, one I read to a class at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want Greenglass House too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really wish that I had checked out a big pile of books before things closed in March! The only book from your list that I have any experience with is A Wrinkle in Time. I tried to read it as a kid and couldn't get through it. I should really try again as adult.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A WRINKLE IN TIME is such a unique, memorable book! I first read it as a kid, then again in college for a children's literature class. It's one that definitely sticks in your head. I've got several copies on my bookshelves - if you lived in the Phoenix area, I would totally loan one to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was nine when I first read Wrinkle, so I'm sure the Tornado will be receptive. Baz read the book with me, I think when he was seven, and he didn't care for it enough to continue on with the series. I asked him a couple of months ago why he didn't like it and he said he doesn't know , but wants to read it sometime to see if he remembers. 📚

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never cared for A Wrinkle in Time, but I'm pretty sure I enjoyed From The Miexd-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankenweiler; I think I need to re-read it or maybe listen to it. I think my library has it on audio on Overdrive. I recently red Wonder and another from my childhood Csddie Woodlawn. And a new book that I red in April, I have to gush about to another middle grade lover. The Blackbird Girls, it is historical fiction with a backdrop of the Chernobyl disaster in 1986 with side story of WWII Russia. I love the book so much it'll definitely be among my top 5 of 2020! Recently, I picked up a middle grade mystery at a Little Free library nearby, The Mystery of Black Hollow Lane.

    ReplyDelete