Friday, May 8, 2020

Friday Fives - Five Hallmark Movie Tropes I Don't Like

I'm taking a bit of a break from my usual Friday Linkups to try something a little different.  Michelle over at Because Reading is Better Than Real Life   used to do a Five on Fridays that I always enjoyed and I've seen a few other variations on the theme.  As well I'm in a list making kind of mood so I thought I'd give start making random five lists.  Sometimes they'll be bookish other weeks not so much. I'm also going to start linking up with Kathryn over at Book Date.  I do love a Hallmark movie and now seems like the perfect time to do some binge watching but not every trope that Hallmark pulls out has me feeling all warm and fuzzy.  In fact here are a few I just don't like. 


1.  One of the main couple has a significant other for half the movie - I don't mind if there's a significant other at the beginning because that's part of the whole things implode and character runs for the hills/hometown/dilapidated inn or whatnot.  But if there's an ongoing relationship well into the time that the main couple's relationship is developing (even if there's nothing officially romantic going on) I don't like it.  It's especially annoying if I really really like the main couple. 

2.  A Misunderstanding - It depends on how big of a deal this is.  A simple one is okay but when one person assumes the other would do something completely out of character and make zero effort to find out if it's true before taking huge actions.  The one I can think of is the heroine was writing a book and the book involved a proposal which the character IN THE BOOK turned down so the hero decided that meant the heroine was interested in the proposal that he was planning. 


3.  False Pretenses - This mostly comes up with a journalist who is becoming involved with someone who is very elusive for whatever reason.  They never ever are upfront with what they do or what they're writing about and it's always a big explosion.

4. A Resistant Fish Out of Water  - I'm here for a fish out of water plot but when the fish out of water isn't willing to give the surrounding opportunities a chance it gets real old real fast.  I don't mind if there's some hesitation due to nerves but the "I'm to good for whatever" bit lasting for awhile gets really old really fast.

5.  The Heroine is Too Much of a Romantic - I mean I get that the romance is pretty much the whole point of these movies (except for the mysteries where it's just behind solving the murder) but every once in awhile the heroine is convinced that every romance is going to consist of crazy big gestures and refuses to accept less and makes a big deal out of it.  I'm thinking these kinds of characters are off trend now because I'm seeing less of them for which I'm very glad.

What are some of your least favorite tropes - Hallmark or otherwise?  Or some of your favorites?

7 comments:

  1. Yes, great list! My biggest pet peeve is the misunderstanding one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get very irritated with versions of the misunderstanding, especially if just TALKING to each other would sort it out in seconds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't watched the Hallmark movies since Christmas time, but I've been wanting to. I love the list you made. I feel the same way about those things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much yes for all of the things on your list! I get annoyed by these things in movies and in books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit I don't think very much about tropes especially in movies because I hardly ever watch them. I need to be more aware!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So you must not like over half the romances on Hallmark! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha! I love Hallmark movies and all their flaws. :-) I definitely agree with you on your first and second points though, especially the first one. The second one I'm like you--if it's minor and they work it out right away, I can live with it, but otherwise. Just talk already!

    ReplyDelete