Tuesday, February 4, 2020

My Favorite Character Jobs


This year I'm focusing on reading my favorite things which has me doing a lot of thinking about what I enjoy.  Today I'm thinking about my favorite character jobs.  Like if a character in a book I'm reading has this particular job I know I'm in for a good read!  While I'm only showing mysteries these character jobs span genres for my reading enjoyment.


1.  Librarian - I do love a bookish character and libraries typically have a regular clientele, events, and a smattering of library politics.

2.  Bookstore owner - The same as above except instead of library politics there's the trials and tribulations of running a business.

3.  Antique Store Owner - I love antiques and I love antique store owners as main characters because in addition to all the antique-y goodness there's often mysteries attached to a particular item.

4.  Genealogist - I adore genealogy and not so I can prove I'm George Washington's 2nd cousin 3 times removed (I'm not btw) but because it deals with old mysteries and the history of just regular ordinary people. 

5.  Archaeologist - If you can't guess I'm a total history nerd and I love delving into some serious cold cases. 


6.  Private Investigator - I love a private investigator mystery.  Not only are they really allowed to investigate but they have a lot more flexibility in terms of cases and methods then police typically do.

7.  Investigative Reporter - Pretty much the same reasons as above.

8.  Contractor/Home Restorer - There's a history element to it and a design element both of which make me happy but especially the history.

9.  Bakery Owner - I love to bake and I love to read about people who love to bake and are really good at baking.

10. Innkeeper - I don't know what it is about an inn but I love reading them.  Personally I'm a fan of a nice impersonal hotel but in fiction world I love a good inn!

What are some of your favorite character jobs?

11 comments:

  1. You nailed it with this list! I like those professions and for the genealogy fiction I can recommend Fiona Mountain’s book Pale as the Dead. I also like the British or Irish mysteries with someone in a gardening type job. Like those botanical gardens or large estate gardens.

    Thanks for the tip on Benadryl and cortisone for the bites. I guess I’m not a shoreline person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m with you on several of them including librarians and private investigators, I’d also add a forensic scientist, medical examiner and teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool topic! I'd love to read more archaeologist stories. Innkeepers are fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great list! I tend to like it when a medical examiner, anthropologist, or someone dealing with forensics. I like the medical aspect and the more details the better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting, I've not thought of roles but I also like a detective or investigator or a medical person. I would also be happy with all those you mention. Perhaps not the archaeologist so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I overdosed too much on paranormal PI and police plots which has turned me off that now but I used to read a ton of it. I've never given much thought to the character jobs I like as my reading is more about horror and apocalypse where their jobs don't come into it much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are some of my favorite careers too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are all good ones. I say 1, 2, 5, & 9 are my faves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun topic. I hadn't thought about it much, but I agree with most of them. I really like bookish jobs and I like things that have to do with history too. I've really enjoyed when they're a nurse or doctor as well - that medical knowledge tends to be cool and come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have a lot of overlap. :) I do find when reading blurbs that a character's job can be a turn off for me. That's especially true for romances and cozies as both have a glut of certain jobs and I'm just over them. Interesting topic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Teacher is probably my favorite, but there don't seem to be that many fiction books about them. I totally agree with bookshop owners! 🙌🙌🙌

    ReplyDelete