Friday, February 21, 2020

Friday Fives - Books About Mardi Gras

I'm taking a bit of a break from my usual Friday Linkups to try something a little different.  Michelle over at Because Reading is Better Than Real Life   used to do a Five on Fridays that I always enjoyed and I've seen a few other variations on the theme.  As well I'm in a list making kind of mood so I thought I'd give start making random five lists.  Sometimes they'll be bookish other weeks not so much. We are in the height of Mardi Gras season and right now I can't walk two steps without stumbling over a Mardi Gras tree or a king cake or a parade.  This isn't usually the case for me as I think pretty much other state other then Louisiana is pretty low key when it come to Mardi Gras but this year it's Mardi Gras all the time.  So I'm looking at some fiction books - some read some unread - that feature all the craziness.


1.  Mardi Gras Murder by Ellen Byron - I love this series set in the Bayou and this was such a fun mystery.


2.  Glitter Bomb by Laura Childs - Not only does this mystery take place in New Orleans during Mardi Gras but the murder actually occurs on a float during a parade!


3.  Cake on a Hot Tin Roof by Jacklyn Brady - This is a series I haven't read but own the first book.  And now I need to buy this book because not only does this mystery take place during Mardi Gras but how can I resist that title??


4.  New Orleans Mourning by Julie Smith - I have wanted to read this series set in New Orleans forever but somehow never did.  This one came out in 1990 so I'm curious to see how it holds up.  And it's another murder during a parade which I can just not get enough of.


5.  Fat Tuesday Fricassee by J.J. Cook - And to be a little different I figured we'd head over to Mobile (who did it first!) for their Mardi Gras celebration.

Have you read any books set during Mardi Gras? 

6 comments:

  1. Wow! You found quite a few Mardi Gras reads which is pretty cool. I've been to Mardi Gras, and don't know if I want to read about it.(lol) Hugs and Happy Friyay! RO

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s the same around here regarding the Mardi Gras stuff. Publix always has king cakes but of course it’s not nearly the celebration it usin Louisiana.
    Great selection of books for the theme!

    I’m currently reading a memoir about John Glenn, it’s pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've ever read a book about or set during Mardi Gras. The ones you mention sound fun. I might have to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh it's Mardi Gras time! I think Cake on a Hot Tin Roof and Fat Tuesday Fricassee sound fun- or maybe I just like those titles ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mardi Gras must be a very exciting time in New Orleans and a fun time to write a story centred around it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Going Bovine had some Mardi Gras scenes in it. I know I've read others, but I cannot recall them right now. 📚

    ReplyDelete