Saturday, February 15, 2020

A Perilous Undertaking - Historical Mystery Review

Goodreads:  A Perilous Undertaking (Veronica Speedwell #2) by Deanna Raybourn

Rating: Really Liked It!
Source: Purchased (Audible)

Description: London, 1887. At the Curiosity Club, a ladies-only establishment for daring and intrepid women, Victorian adventuress Veronica Speedwell meets the mysterious Lady Sundridge, who begs her to take on an impossible task--saving society art patron Miles Ramsforth from execution. Ramsforth, accused of the brutal murder of his mistress, Artemisia, will face the hangman's noose in a week's time if the real killer is not found.

But Lady Sundridge is not all that she seems, and unmasking her true identity is only the first of many secrets Veronica must uncover. Together with her natural-historian colleague, Stoker, Veronica races against time to find the true murderer. From a Bohemian artists' colony to a royal palace to a subterranean grotto with a decadent history, the investigation proves to be a very perilous undertaking indeed....

Genre: Mystery - Historical 

Why I Picked This Book:  I loved the first book and I have the most recent book for review so I'm trying to catch up on the series before reading the newest.

My Impression:  I do love Veronica Speedwell but am so glad I don't have to deal with her in real life!  She's such a force of nature and never afraid to say quite clearly what she's really thinking.  This particular mystery every once in awhile shows hints of her vulnerabilities which I really enjoyed. 

This investigation was intriguing and dove into the art world and a world a bit more illicit.  Veronica's delight and Stoker's clear discomfort in discussing all things inappropriate made for several laugh out loud moments as does Veronica's regular chastising Stoker not to loom or look intimidating.  I thoroughly enjoyed going along with the investigation and I can honestly say I had no real clue who the killer was until the tense reveal. 

I listened to the audio version of this story and the narrator, Angele Masters, was an absolute delight.  She IS the voice of Veronica. 

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?  Absolutely!  I have thoroughly enjoyed the first two books in the series and am looking forward to getting caught up.

Would I Recommend this Book?  Definitely!  If you enjoyed Laurie R. King's Mary Russell series I think you'll enjoy this series.  Veronica is a bit spicier then Mary was but it has a similar feel to the series.

7 comments:

  1. I love these books! They're hilarious and entertaining. You're right, though, I don't think I would enjoy hanging out with Veronica in real life - she's intense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to start this serious. I have a few of the books on my TBR shelf already. I'm not sure why I haven't yet . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really hoping to start this series sometime this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had my eye on this series for a while. I may need to check my library for them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this first one and liked it but not enough to read on. However the audio way may be the way to go if I do continue. Must look on Audible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the sound of this one - great author as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the covers on the Speedwell books! 👍✨

    ReplyDelete