Saturday, April 13, 2024

The Mystery of the Blue Train - Classic Mystery Review

Goodreads: The Mystery of the Blue Train by Agatha Christie

Rating:  Really Liked It! (4.5 Stars)
Source:   Purchased

Description:  A mysterious woman, a legendary cursed jewel, and a night train from London to the French Riviera -- ingredients for the perfect romance or the perfect crime? When the train stops, the jewel is missing, and the woman is found dead in her compartment. It's the perfect mystery, filled with passion, greed, deceit, and confusion. Is Hercule Poirot the perfect detective to solve it?

Genre:  Mystery - Classic

Why I Picked This Book:  This was the March pick for the Read Christie 2024 challenge.

My Impression: I've read that Christie was made to change the ending of this mystery and because of that was never fully satisfied it.  After reading it I can completely believe that.  This has all the hallmarks of a great Christie mystery - a murder on a train, multiple suspects and motives, and criminal elements lurking inthe shadows - but somehow just never has made it to my favorite list.  It's also one I never quite remember.  

This is a solid mystery with a good main character in Katherine Gray and a really good use of Poirot.  The mystery has lots of elements and anything invovling historic jewels can't be bad!  This is one I always look forward to reading when it comes up on a list but isn't one I think of or one I typically recommend for new Christie readers.  The final reveal just never quite makes the best of all the elements that come up in the book.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author? Of course!  I always in the middle of some kind of Christie reread!

Would I Recommend this Book? While this isn't the top Christie mystery I recommend to new readers it's an enjoyable read with a solid mystery.  Definitely one to add to your TBR!

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoy all the Agatha Christie books.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic review. I forget the details but you helped refresh my memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pity they made her change some things up. But at 4.5 stars that speaks for the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to read this one! I've been working my way through her books, but it's taking me awhile to read them all. One month I should try just reading Agatha Christie novels might be fun. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so interesting about Christie having to change the ending and not quite being satisfied with it. I am glad you enjoyed this one, Katherine.

    ReplyDelete