Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Around the World in Eighty Days - Classic Review


At the end of 2022 Wendy over at Literary Feline posted about these fantastic TBR Tarot Cards she had picked up on Etsy and that sounded too good to resist so I immediately ordered my own set.  So when I'm not feeling strongly about what to read next I pull out my cards and pick a book based on the prompt.  Here is a book the fates chose for me recently.


Goodreads: Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne

Description:  One night in the reform club, Phileas Fogg bets his companions that he can travel across the globe in just eighty days. Breaking the well-established routine of his daily life, he immediately sets off for Dover with his astonished valet Passepartout. Passing through exotic lands and dangerous locations, they seize whatever transportation is at hand—whether train or elephant—overcoming set-backs and always racing against the clock.

TBR Tarot Prompt:  Pick a book that has been made into a TV show or movie

My Throughts:  This book was on my list of possible reads for this year so when the prompt came up it seemed like a perfect fit.  I've never read anything by Jules Verne so I was a little nervous going in but overall I really enjoyed it.  This is quite the adventure with pretty much every form of transportation available in 1872 at least considered if not used and all kinds of adventures - both good and dangerous.  The prose is a bit cumbersome at times and there are some very dated stereotypes but for the most part this was a lot of fun and I'm so glad that the TBR Tarot picked it for me.  My Rating: Really Liked It (4 Stars)

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like the tarot cards did you right this time. :) Glad you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Jules Verne, though this isn't my most favorite one of his. But I do always love an around-the-world journey in a book. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those tarot cards come in handy. Glad you enjoyed it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this one, but after reading your review, I want to. I admit my knowledge of this book comes more from stories about Nellie Bly's journey around the world, which was inspired by Jules Verne's book.

    ReplyDelete