Monday, April 15, 2024

Authors I've Been Meaning to Read - The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid


At the beginning of the year I made a list of authors that I've been saying I need to read and commit to reading at least one book by each of the authors in 2024.  Here's my thoughts on one of those books/authors.


Goodreads:  The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Blurb:  Aging and reclusive Hollywood movie icon Evelyn Hugo is finally ready to tell the truth about her glamorous and scandalous life. But when she chooses unknown magazine reporter Monique Grant for the job, no one is more astounded than Monique herself. Why her? Why now?

Monique is not exactly on top of the world. Her husband has left her, and her professional life is going nowhere. Regardless of why Evelyn has selected her to write her biography, Monique is determined to use this opportunity to jumpstart her career.

Summoned to Evelyn’s luxurious apartment, Monique listens in fascination as the actress tells her story. From making her way to Los Angeles in the 1950s to her decision to leave show business in the ‘80s, and, of course, the seven husbands along the way, Evelyn unspools a tale of ruthless ambition, unexpected friendship, and a great forbidden love. Monique begins to feel a very real connection to the legendary star, but as Evelyn’s story nears its conclusion, it becomes clear that her life intersects with Monique’s own in tragic and irreversible ways.

My Thoughts:  I knew a bit about this book going into it so the love of Evelyn Hugo's life wasn't a surprise.  However, the focus of the book did end up being a surprise.  Yes, this is a story of a glamorous movie star but the real focus is on what happens if you don't let yourself truly be yourself and don't accept who you are.  At times this message felt a bit heavy handed.  I enjoyed the old Hollywood bits and watching Evelyn as she navigates the changing world of fame as times change and she gets older.  I wasn't sure how her life and Monique's life connected until it was revealed and that was quite a surprise.  Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about this book which seems reasonable as Evelyn was a complicated woman and nothing was ever easy.  I will say that the author made her so vivid and made her seem so real that I caught myself almost Googling her to see what she really looked like.  My Rating: Liked It! (3.5 Stars)


2 comments:

  1. I have yet to read this author also.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read a few books by this author but didn't feel pulled to this one and now happy I didn't. But I like that you were googling her to find out about her some more.

    ReplyDelete