Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Top Ten Tuesday - Ten Series/Authors I've Stalled Out On Reading


Today I'm linking up with Top Ten Tuesday hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl which is all about lists.  Since lists are one of my favorite things this is one of my favorite linkups!  Today's topic is Books I'm Worried I Might Not Love the Second Time Around but I'm not a much of a re-reader so instead I'm looking at series/or authors I've stalled out on because I'm afraid they might not live up to my expectations.


1.  Mary Kubica - I read and loved Local Woman Missing but have hesitated to read more by this author because what if the next book doesn't work as well for me.  I am hoping to read Just the Nicest Couple soon so fingers crossed.

2.  A Haunted Vintage Mystery by Rose Pressey - and really this author in general as she has a couple of series.  I have several books by her and I enjoyed the first book but keep hesitating on picking up another book by her.

3.  Jesse Q. Sutanto - Vera Wong's Unsolicited Advice for Murders was one of my favorite books in 2023 and I have several other books by her that I've heard good things about but I keep stalling!  

4.  The Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mysteries by Vicki Delany - I've read a lot by this author and I read the first book in this series a couple of years ago and really liked the premise and have fully meant to go back to it.  

5.  Mimi Matthews - I've been getting back into historical romances and I really liked to book I read by her a few years ago.  


6.  Pages & Co. by Anna James - I read the first book in this middle grade series and really loved it but haven't picked up the next book in several years.

7.  The Secret, Book, & Scone Society by Ellery James - Another first book in a series I loved but for some reason have yet to go back to.

8.  Kate Quinn - After years of having The Alice Network on my TBR I read it and loved it and then haven't read another book by her in 3 years.  I really need to fix that.

9.  The Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters - Barbara Michaels is one of my most reread authors but for some reason I've only read the first book in her mystery series about an Egyptologist under another of her pseudonyms.  

10.  Elly Griffiths - I've read the first books in two of Elly Griffiths series.  I enjoyed both and have not read any more in years.  

What series or authors have you stalled out on reading even though you enjoy what you've read?

8 comments:

  1. As you know, I love mystery series, but there seem to only be so many that I can stay current with. Some have dropped by the wayside and not necessarily because I stopped enjoying them. However, some I did get weary of certain characters or themes or whatever. I know I've recommended Elly Griffiths' Ruth Galloway series to you in the past. It is one that I have stayed up with. Also, Vicki Delany has one that is set in Canada that I loved and she has completed that series. Constable Molly Smith is the protagonist and the first book is IN THE SHADOW OF THE GLACIER. I don't read Patricia Cornwell's books any more or either of the Kellermans (Jonathan and Faye). Got a little crossways with how Cornwell took a story and the other two, just not enough time. Interesting topic here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I've read all the Amelia Peabody books and enjoyed them. The later ones do have some odd turns. I also love Elly Griffiths.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same about the Amelia Peabody series. I liked the first book, but I haven't continued yet. Vera Wong was funny for the first half but I felt it lost a bit of steam during the second half. I will be reading more by Sutanto though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I love the whole Ellery James series, I can vouch for Kate Quinn and amazing on audio. Mimi Matthews I haven't tried but Mary at Bookfan has made me aware of her books and I want to try them. Great take on the topic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to get back to Jesse Sutanto's books. I loved the Vera Wong book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have only read two of Kate Quinn's books and enjoyed both so I am not sure why I haven't picked up more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My list would be very long if I came up with one for your topic. I really think that sometimes I put off reading another book by an author I've loved before because I'm afraid of disappointment. That's sometimes the reason I put off reading books by author's I haven't tried before too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not much of a historical romance reader, but I've read two by Mimi Matthews and really enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete